Advanced search

Can my request for a reference be refused?

(31 Posts)
LaTrucha Sat 17-Nov-12 22:22:56

I gave up teaching on the brth of my DD 5 years ago. I had no problem with the school I was at nor they with me. I now want to do some examining and contacted them for a reference as they were my last employer. They have told me that they can't as everyone in my department has left since I did and so has the headteacher.

What do I do? I would now have to go back beyond my last employer, well over ten years, to get a reference. I know one who would as we're still in contact and friendly but I feel just plain silly contacting someone out of the blue after such a long time.

LaCiccolina Sat 01-Dec-12 17:31:34

They cannot refuse a reference. A reference is not though a massive statement on what it was like to work with u. That's a character ref. different entirely these days and getting rarer. They have to confirm dates u worked there and basics of employment terms, that's all. That should be perfectly accessible on a computer. If u need a character ref u need to find someone willing.

LaTrucha Sat 01-Dec-12 18:21:31

That's interesting LaCiccolina. I think the LA would be able to do that for me as, yes, fabulousathome they still hold my pension.

Thanks fo rall your help. I think I can see a way through it now.

BranchingOut Mon 03-Dec-12 09:34:15

Would you be able to update me if you get anywhere with this?

LaTrucha Mon 03-Dec-12 09:36:50

I will. I'm being very lazy about it as we've all got horrible colds. I'll try to use you to galvanise me!

LaTrucha Mon 10-Dec-12 16:06:22

I have emailed my LEA and the message has been passed to the appropriate person but I haven't yet heard anything. I will let you know.

LaTrucha Thu 20-Dec-12 13:14:30

Yup. Contacting the HR department of the LEA is the answer. No trouble at all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now