Talk

Advanced search

Working 4 days - how does it work with Bank Holidays?

(8 Posts)
pinkroof Sat 03-Nov-12 12:59:27

I'm going back to work soon and am trying to decide how many days to work. One of my options is dropping to 4 days - with Monday being my day off. I thought this would be the best option as it means we would avoid paying cm on Bank Holidays and also it just suits us quite well.

My question is - would I be entitled to claim time back for Bank Holidays if I don't work Mondays? I work flexi-time and a set number of hours per week so presumably I shouldn't in theory have to miss out. Thanks

mynameis Sat 03-Nov-12 13:00:30

In my old job I used to get bank holiday entitlement added into my annual leave as I didn't work Mondays.

PhyllisDoris Sat 03-Nov-12 13:04:03

I don't know, but my guess would be that you don't need the BH off if you already have the day off, and that it would be unreasonable to expect an employer to give you an extra day off in lieu. (Would be nice though)sad
Why don't you take Fridays as your non working day instead?

ceebeegeebies Sat 03-Nov-12 13:05:33

I don't work Mondays and have my pro-rata bank holiday entitlement added to my annual leave entitlement...if a bank hol falls on one of my working days, I deduct the hours that I would have worked, if it falls on a Monday, I don't have to deduct anything.

Overall, you benefit by not working Mondays as it gives you extra holiday to use at another time grin

I work in HR and therefore knew this and had no intention of working Mondays wink

ceebeegeebies Sat 03-Nov-12 13:07:25

Phyllis you are incorrect - an employer does have to give you your pro-rata bank holiday entitlement regardless of what day(s) you don't work. You aren't getting the benefit of the bank holiday if you don't work that day anyway and it is discriminatory to penalise part-time workers in this way.

PhyllisDoris Sat 03-Nov-12 13:15:37

Good news! grin

loobywoof Sat 03-Nov-12 13:18:28

I used to work Wednesdays and Thursdays - a total of 19.5 hrs per week. I got 3.9hrs for each bank holiday (19.5 divided by 5 (no of days in 'working' week)). I work Mon and Thu now so I get the day off on a Monday Bank Holiday but still get 3.9 hrs for anything that doesn't fall on a Monday i.e. for Good Friday, Christmas Day, Boxing Day etc. I always try to take my holiday on a week with a bank holiday though as I don't have to use as many holiday days to get a whole week off!

IDontDoIroning Sat 03-Nov-12 13:35:27

You work 80% and therefore are entitled to 80% pro rata annual leave and bank holidays.

Ive assumed your leave year runs to 31.12 but you could do this for any date.

Assume 8 days at 80% is 6.4 days which they should round up to 6.5.
So then get your calendar out and work out what days you will need to cover with these days ie Good Friday is a definate and then if they don't fall on a monday ie Xmas day, Boxing Day, and new year.

This year none of them fall on a Monday but this will vary on a yearly basis and you will need to go this every year.

So for the rest of 2012- out of the 6.5 you need 4 so this gives you 2.5 days to add on to your annual leave.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now