Talk

Advanced search

giving a presentation at an interview - help!

(8 Posts)
Lucky13 Wed 31-Oct-12 23:33:51

I have an interview this week, where I have to give a 5 min presentation to show a panel how I would sign up educational establishments to use a particular free service. Great - except - eek - I haven't given a presentation for years and I have to use powerpoint - which is fine, but I'm a little rusty.

The main issue I have however is content. As it is explaining an existing service, how much of the company literature do I quote in the presentation? Presumably they want me to explain about the company, the service and all the facts and figures to demonstrate my knowledge? Or do you think they want a new approach and see something creative (part of the job will be coming up with new ideas)?

I have drafted out the former, but I'm unsure. Would you use the pictures from the company website and documents or try and find some free similar ones from elsewhere - not sure if that would raise copyright issues and can't afford to buy ones.

Does anyone have any ideas or words of wisdom as I'm feeling a little overwhelmed, but I would really like this job.

Sulfur Thu 01-Nov-12 13:43:03

No idea about the content - on that, you have to decide what your objectives are.

Might I recommend not using PowerPoint? People can get quite bored of the same-old same-old formats. I suggest looking at www.prezi.com.

jaabaar Thu 01-Nov-12 15:38:55

Good luck!

SaBearOz Thu 01-Nov-12 20:31:42

I often have candidates prepare a presentation for their interviews in my team and I personally hate being told info I already know about my service.
Consider the job spec and see whether creativity is a key part and if so be creative!!
Power point need not be boring, use it creatively not to write down every point of your presentation.

Waswondering Thu 01-Nov-12 20:33:46

Try not to use more than 45 words per slide - they can then glance over the slide while still listening to you (also good practice if people have any sight impairements etc that you may not be aware of).

ekidna Thu 01-Nov-12 21:46:14

agree re: using prezzi.
suggest read all their stuff thoroughly and think of a really innovative title or hook into your presentation which turns the usual assumptions about the subject on its head.

ja9 Thu 01-Nov-12 22:51:47

Agree re using prezi...nice to use something a bit different. I have used it once and received a lot of positive comment about it (although sadly did not get job sad!)

flowery Thu 01-Nov-12 22:56:28

Doesn't sound at all like they want you to explain about the company and service confused

If they are asking you to present on how you would sign up educational establishments it sounds like they are after a marketing strategy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now