Talk

Advanced search

I went back to work earlier this year. What do I do about tax?

(9 Posts)
rubyrubyruby Wed 31-Oct-12 21:32:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

housesalehelp Wed 31-Oct-12 22:07:25

Have look at this - there is a check that you are self employed - if you are you must register ASAP - if not really you should be employed by your employer and they sort tax and NI

www.hmrc.gov.uk/sa/self-emp.htm#1

rubyrubyruby Wed 31-Oct-12 22:23:05

ceeveebee Wed 31-Oct-12 22:30:33

I would speak to your "employer" first. If you should be on their payroll it is them that will be in trouble. Is it a big company with a HR department?

housesalehelp Wed 31-Oct-12 22:33:09

its a saving for employers to pay you like this as they don't have to pay employer NI - it can be a bit of saving for you as you can claim some expenses
do they do this with their other employees or is a very small business - or do you work from home?

rubyrubyruby Wed 31-Oct-12 22:46:41

rubyrubyruby Wed 31-Oct-12 22:47:32

housesalehelp Wed 31-Oct-12 22:58:04

have you asked your collegues what they are doing re tax - also you might want to post in money section or employment issues as there are a couple of really goood people that might be able to advice you there - personally I think you are an employee but I am not a tax expert - it also may "rock the boat" and you might want to consider the consquences of that

rubyrubyruby Wed 31-Oct-12 23:03:47

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now