Advanced search

mumsnet work

Find the perfect family friendly job

Getting references after being SAHM

(2 Posts)
NK346f2849X127d8bca260 Thu 25-Oct-12 09:53:28

I have been at home since my eldest was born 13 years ago, now youngest is well settled at school i wish to return to work part time.

I am looking at care or TA work as this is what i have done before. But i am having a problem with previous employment references as everybody has moved on or retired.

I am looking at doing voluntary work to help , but as dh has had to take lower paid job i really need paid employment.

Any advice?

redexpat Thu 25-Oct-12 10:08:09

I would say volunteer if you can. Or join a temping agency (or 5) ring them every week until they give you something, even if it's just short term covering 2 days sick or something. Take anything. Cleaning is not a bad place to start, and if you prove to them that you are reliable the chnaces are that they will send better options your way. You can tell them that you are interested in care or school and they may remember that and send you there if the opportunity arises. Just showing your face at a school can help, and you pick up LOADS about a place even in a support role. To further your chances I would get a CRB check done. Good luck!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: