Talk

Advanced search

Problem career decision.

(4 Posts)
MoJo5 Tue 23-Oct-12 07:39:36

I have a dd (8) and a ds (4). Shortly after my ds was born I was made redundant from a very good job in the media. I found it extremely difficult to be ftm after having had a career in journalism. I tried very hard to try to get a job or part time job to fit in with my career and life however I had no luck and I got very despondent eventually turning to voluntary work to get peace of mind ( I enjoyed the voluntary work very much). My dh has a good job so I don't have to work but it is difficult after having had a career and studied to masters level to give that all up. I tried for 3 years to get work but nothing. In January this year I found out I was three months pregnant with my third child. It was unexpected and I had very mixed feelings especially as I had just turned 40 and was actively trying to prevent pregnancy. My beautiful dd is now almost three months old. The problem is last year I was networking to get work. Nothing happened. However all of a sudden through a contact three times away I got a good contact to call. The call was very positive. I was then offer a week on a project in a public relations team in a very reputable company. I am excited and feel it could lead onto great things. However I have a 3 month old baby and am breastfeeding! My heard sank yesterday when I opened the mail and the contact offered me a week in the PR team but then said how does Leeds sound for you? I am based in London! I just don't see how I can travel to Leeds for a week with such a small baby apart from anything organising child care for my other two children. However after so long without work I feel this could give my career a real boost and help me with the confidence I have lost. I feel I should try to do that week but I just don't understand how I can. Should I ask the contact to wait considering the age of my baby or break my back trying to work it all out? Last chance saloon type of thing!!!!

MoJo5 Tue 23-Oct-12 07:42:14

Meant to say I networked last year but heard from the company last week.

Pourquoimoi Tue 23-Oct-12 07:45:46

I understand, networking takes ages to bring results.
They've asked the question of how Leeds sounds, can you just say that Leeds is a bit tricky can you do London? Do they have bases in both locations?

Maybetimeforachange Tue 23-Oct-12 14:28:42

If it is only for a week then I would sort your older children out by getting your DH to take holiday / work from home / arrange playdates for after school and take the baby, a load of expressed milk and a temporary nanny with you to Leeds. I appreciate that it will probably cost you a fair amount to do it but if if feel that this placement is important for your career then it is worth it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now