Talk

Advanced search

any PGCE secondary school teachers/students? Humanities/geography subject query

(6 Posts)
Urbanvoltaire Thu 18-Oct-12 12:10:16

I'm trying to decide upon a career change moving away from my IT job. I have a BA degree (2.1) in IT from 20 years ago - I'm 43.

So bit of a late change really, not sure about it but am wondering:

would I be accepted to teach Geography on a PGCE course given that my degree is in IT? I have a B grade at A-level geography.

I am going through this thought process and given my age and quals not sure if it is going to work out sad

Primary school teaching doesn't appeal to me as much as secondary and I did really enjoy Geography at school despite being a long time ago. I have an interest in the subject at large and am keen to hear from any qualified opinions as to my chances.

Thanks in advance.

poweredbytoast Wed 24-Oct-12 12:13:49

I don't have any advice but I'm posting because I'm in a very similar situation - I'm 46 and have been thinking about teacher training - if I find anything out that might help you I'll post again!

AlexanderS Wed 24-Oct-12 22:43:31

Your degree needs to have included a substantial amount of the subject you want to teach (I think 50%). So you are not going to be able to teach Geography with an IT degree. Would you not want to teach ICT? If your heart is set on Geography maybe you could do some undergraduate Geography modules with the Open University.

Send an email to the admissions officer and/or subject tutors at the universities you want to apply for. My degree is in Journalism but I wanted to retrain as an English teacher. Two of the universities I emailed told me they wouldn't consider me so not to waste my application. Two said to 'give it a go'. One sent a very thoughtful email saying they would look at each person on their merits but strongly suggesting that I did an Open Uni module in English. Guess what I did and which one I put as my first choice on my application form? And which gave me amazing support as I trained?

amidaiwish Wed 24-Oct-12 22:55:25

Why would you not teach IT? They are crying out for them. Geography teachers are plentiful.

RugBugs Wed 24-Oct-12 22:59:18

You might be able to do an enhancement course on your chosen subject.
DP has just finished a maths one and is now on his PGCE. It was a six month course that also included teaching elements.
They are usually applied for at the same time as a deferred PGCE so I would do a course search on the gttr website and see if anywhere near you offers the enhancement course in your subject.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now