Talk

Advanced search

At what stage in the interview process should you bring up working from home- if at all?

(8 Posts)
spotofcheerfulness Wed 17-Oct-12 12:15:43

I've been asked for interview for a job I'd really like, but it's FT and a pretty long commute. It's also not amazing money and yet I suspect they'll have had a lot of applicants so am quite chuffed to have got this far.

It's the kind of job that would be quite easy to do from home for at least a couple of days a week. This would make it s better bet financially and I might get a chance of seeing my kids at lunch and dinner time too.

At what stage would it be appropriate to bring this up? Should I mention it at interview? Or if I'm offered the job? It's a competitive industry and beggars can't be choosers, but it could be a make or break issue for me so I don't want to wait until I'm confirmed in post in case they say no.

fraktion Wed 17-Oct-12 12:19:26

I would mention it at the offer stage. Otherwise it may be the decider between you and another candidate getting the job. If they offer it to you then they want you and you can make your acceptance conditional on a WFH arrangement.

jkklpu Wed 17-Oct-12 12:20:34

Congratulations on getting the interview. Definitely see it as a chance for you to decide if you want the job, not just for them to decide if they want you.

I'd save the subject for the end when they should ask you if you have any questions. However, I wouldn't say straight out whether you can wrk from home n days/week or month. Instead, I'd ask a more general question about how much scope there is for flexible working, emphasising that you have really made it work in previous jobs. You could go on to ask them about their IT system and whether they give staff official laptops or blackberries, or how much scope individuals have to plan their work. That could then lead to the specific point about working from home. But if the other questions don't go well, then you won't necessarily want to get into it unless/until they offer you the job.

If you ask straight out about working from home some interviewers can react badly, so better to probe more gradually, I'd say.

Good luck.

Boggler Wed 17-Oct-12 12:21:20

Not until they make you a firm job offer. The employer may not be keen on home working as they may not want to spend out on laptops or other equipment.

spotofcheerfulness Wed 17-Oct-12 15:32:16

Thanks for the advice folks grin. Think I will keep my powder dry as long as possible unless directly asked. Now need to brush up on my interview technique!

Twitterqueen Wed 17-Oct-12 15:39:49

I took on a new job believing I would be able to wfh as the role was dual-centred, so I figured if I could work 2 days a week in one place and no-one missed me in the other - and vice versa - I could therefore, easily wfh as well.

The company's website also said they were green, encouraged flexibility, wfh etc etc.

However, I DID'NT bring it up at the interviews, and when I broached the subject, having taken the job, I was told "No way". Apparently the MD absolutely hated it.

The technology wasn't an issue, and I've been used to wfh in previous companies.

I left after 8 weeks - I couldn't stand the rigidity, plus the fact that I wasn't getting home til 7pm on 2 nights pw, and as a single parent that is unacceptable to me.

spotofcheerfulness Wed 17-Oct-12 21:02:44

Thanks for the alternative viewpoint, TQ - I will try and sound them out as it would make a huge difference as to how long I stayed in it.
Did it affect your ability to get another job, if you don't mind my asking?

EverybodysSpookyEyed Wed 17-Oct-12 21:11:06

I would mention it at offer stage

at interview stage it is too early and after accepting the job it is way too late

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now