Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Childcare for 6 year old

(5 Posts)
Rachster Thu 11-Oct-12 10:49:32

I am a secondary Deputy Head going back to work in January fulltime. I have no problem with childcare for my new addition, as we have a nursery on site, but my 6 year old son is at primary school about 2 miles away at a small rural school with no before or after school provision.At the moment I exist on piecemeal arrangements with friends and neighbours. There are no childminders in the area of his school either! Has anyone got any cunning ideas they use?

flubba Thu 11-Oct-12 17:24:11

Are there no breakfast clubs/after-school clubs he can attend at the primary school? Failing that, I would look into getting a nanny.

What do other parents do?

envy of you going back - last job I had was as cover for an assistant head on sabbatical, but my childcare costs (3 under 6) would be more than I would be able to earn. sad

Rachster Fri 12-Oct-12 17:17:12

No there are no clubs. everybody else either does not work or has relations that can help out. Some of them would prefer not to have to use their parents though so we will have to try and bring up the subject again with the school!

Tgger Sat 20-Oct-12 21:36:22

This may sound daft, but you could put an advert out (online) for a nanny type person/child minder- they wouldn't have to be as qualified as a nanny perhaps but would need the relevant experience and checkable references. A friend of mine did this to great success.

mudipig Mon 22-Oct-12 22:48:30

Could ask around and see if somebody would like to become a cm? I know somebody who became a cm this way. There might be someone who'd like to take the leap but is worried about having clients. If they have a ready made mindee, they might just take that leap.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now