Talk

Advanced search

How to cover a 2-year "gap" on my CV

(16 Posts)
Meggymoodle Wed 10-Oct-12 13:54:42

Hello.

I have a nearly 4-year-old and a nearly 2-year-old. DH and I are both not loving our current roles and are ready for a switch to him being SAHD and me working full-time. However, I first need to find a job.

How do I cover the gap that I have had being at home?? If I just leave it with the last job at 2010 that's just going to look like I've been out of work for 2 years plus and to be fair, I've never worked harder!

Thanks for any advice.

tenlittlebuns Wed 10-Oct-12 14:07:34

I explained on all my covering letters that I had spent the last X years bringing up our young children, and used that para. to highlight what I had done in that time to keep my hand in (e.g. voluntary work). You could, I suppose, just do that on the CV itself, but in a covering letter you get to explain that those years as a SAHM are not really unemployment!

FireOverBabylon Wed 10-Oct-12 14:28:31

Just say that you were a stay at home parent. employers will query a gap in your employment history but parenting young children is relatively common on CVs so just tell the truth.

Poledra Wed 10-Oct-12 14:32:18

As someone who regularly interviews, I'd say do as the others here have suggested - explain either on the CV or covering letter than you have been at home raising your young children. Much more acceptable than just leaving a gap or (horrors!) fudging dates on previous employment to hide a gap.

Lexilicious Wed 10-Oct-12 14:54:46

I have been looking at applications in the past week which have unexplained gaps. In one, they only wrote dates for two jobs, but mentioned in the sections about specific skills things they had done 'in a marketing company' not listed under employment history. I would not worry at all about someone with periods of unemployment, whether it was from being made redundant or leaving voluntarily, and would just like to know what you have done to keep up with whatever skills you are going to need. The longer you have been out of that type of job, obviously means it may take a little time to get fully going on the new job, but that's my role as a line manager/recruiter to decide if I think the candidate is going to be a good investment!

Meggymoodle Wed 10-Oct-12 14:58:10

Thanks all. Just wondering how I should put it in. All my employment is dates and then job so should I just put

2010 - present: At home with children

??

Seems a bit, I don't know, a bit lame.

oscarwilde Thu 11-Oct-12 15:46:01

2010 to date: Full-time parenting [ now take your pick of recent key activities]

*JOB DESCRIPTION :

Long term, team players needed, for challenging permanent work in an,
often chaotic environment.
Candidates must possess excellent communication and organizational skills and be willing to work variable hours, which will include evenings and weekends and frequent 24 hour shifts on call.
Some overnight travel required, including trips to primitive camping sites on rainy weekends and endless sports tournaments in far away cities!
Travel expenses not reimbursed.
Extensive courier duties also required.

RESPONSIBILITIES

The rest of your life.
Must be willing to be hated, at least temporarily, until someone needs $5.
Must be willing to bite tongue repeatedly.
Also, must possess the physical stamina of a pack mule and be able to go from zero to 60 mph in three seconds flat in case, this time, the screams from
the backyard are not someone just crying wolf.
Must be willing to face stimulating technical challenges, such as small gadget repair, mysteriously sluggish toilets and stuck zippers.
Must screen phone calls, maintain calendars and coordinate production of multiple homework projects.
Must have ability to plan and organize social gatherings for clients of all ages and mental outlooks.
Must be willing to be indispensable one minute, and embarrassed the next.
Must handle assembly and product safety testing of a half million cheap, plastic toys, and battery operated devices.
Must always hope for the best but be prepared for the worst.
Must assume final, complete accountability for the quality of the end product.
Responsibilities also include floor maintenance and janitorial work throughout the facility.

POSSIBILITY FOR ADVANCEMENT & PROMOTION:

None.
Your job is to remain in the same position for years, without complaining, constantly
retraining and updating your skills, so that those in your charge can ultimately surpass you.

PREVIOUS EXPERIENCE :

None required, unfortunately.
On-the-job training offered on a continually exhausting basis.

WAGES AND COMPENSATION :

Get this! You pay them!
Offering frequent raises and bonuses.
A balloon payment is due when they turn 18 because of the assumption that college will help them become financially independent.
When you die, you give them whatever is left.
The oddest thing about this reverse-salary scheme is that you actually enjoy it and wish you could only do more.

BENEFITS :

While no health or dental insurance, no pension, no tuition reimbursement, no paid holidays and no stock options are offered;
this job supplies limitless opportunities for personal growth and free hugs and kisses for life if you play your cards right. *

Seriously though, I don't think it hurts to make a simple statement whether it is on your CV or covering letter to say that you have taken time out of your career to raise your family and now wish to return to work and resume your professional life. If nothing else it implies that you don't intend to disappear on maternity leave within months grin

asianmum Thu 11-Oct-12 15:52:25

Nice

asianmum Thu 11-Oct-12 15:53:01

At least its only 2 years, mine is almost 6 years....

lljkk Thu 11-Oct-12 16:45:39

Mine is 8!

Luvvies Thu 11-Oct-12 17:02:56

I'd just put

2010 - present: career break

It's a handy euphemism but doesn't mean you disclose you personal circumstances on your CV. Most employers would get the hint.

ProjectOysterdotcom Fri 12-Oct-12 15:13:54

Be honest!

You can not be discrimintaed against for staying at home with your children and even if you were, do you think that would be a company you would want to be working for? One that would most likely also frown upon taking time off when you're children are unwell.

Look out for a family friendly company, so important to have that support when you are trying to juggle family life and work. It's not an easy balance but it's one you've been training for the whole time you've been bringing up your children! Someone has just tossed you an extra ball labelled 'work' and you'll be fine x

Don't let a 'gap' in your CV stop you persuing something that's important to you

mathanxiety Sun 14-Oct-12 06:14:44

Maybe complete a relatively short course to brush up some skills? No need for a degree, but if you could get some sort of certificate course under your belt maybe you would look like someone who was serious and committed?

mathanxiety Sun 14-Oct-12 06:18:12

I think it's important to make a strategic plan and not just 'get a job/any job' (unless you desperately need any job that comes your way). It is more difficult to get the second job if the first one you get is a bit of a dead end. What is the second job you want? Aim in that direction for the first one and make sure that first one will offer a chance to build on your experience/education/skills.

Homebird8 Sun 14-Oct-12 06:21:08

Mine was 9 so I mentioned helping with pre-school committee, setting up toddler group, fundraising for church, chairing PTA plus the party plan job I enjoyed in the evenings and the freelance 'real' work I fitted in when I could get it.

Now I think about it, I think the children brought themselves up! It's so much easier to be back in a full time 9-5! wink

Meggymoodle Mon 15-Oct-12 13:34:42

Thanks for the advice ladies. Oscarwilde, that amused me greatly! I feel like I would take anything at the moment as being at home is driving me slowly insane but there isn't that much to be grabbed sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now