Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone sell home baked goods (cupcakes, large cakes, brownies, etc)?

(3 Posts)
Teapartycake Tue 09-Oct-12 15:40:28

Hi all

I'm new and not even sure if I'm posting in the correct place, but maybe someone can direct me if I'm in the wrong place!

I've been baking birthday cakes (adults and kids), cupcakes, brownies etc for the past year or so for friends and family and friends of friends. Everyone raves about them and tells me I should sell them more widespread. Has anyone does this?

I'm not expecting to make millions, but is it worth the effort? I really enjoy baking and think I can fit it in between my part time job and the school runs.

Any advice appreciated.

Many thanks.

DrSeuss Wed 10-Oct-12 10:22:36

Tried it. Paying hobby, not really a career,sorry!

Rockchick1984 Wed 10-Oct-12 15:31:25

My ex SIL tried to start her own business selling home made cakes (small ones, not birthday cakes etc). They truly were the nicest cakes I've ever tasted - and I eat a lot of cake and bake frequently myself, but hers were amazing!

Sadly, between regulations for a kitchen which was approved by H&S for business use, advertising costs and people ordering things then never collecting them, she struggled for about a year before finally admitting defeat.

She still bakes as a hobby, and will do a large order if someone specifically requests and pays upfront, but she does this just through word of mouth and basically it covers her costs.

Sorry sad but I would say do it if you enjoy it, but don't expect to make any money out of it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now