Talk

Advanced search

How did the first nursery day go for you?

(9 Posts)
Pastabee Mon 08-Oct-12 12:34:59

DD had her first morning at nursery today. They said she was fine in so far as she had played, had her nappy changed, been fed etc BUT she was being held by a nursery assistant and crying when I collected her as she was very tired. They had tried to put her down for a nap but she just sat up and wouldn't go to sleep.

I suppose I shouldn't have expected it to be completely smooth but I am now wondering how your DCs did on their first days and did they learn to sleep at nursery?

She is 11 months and currently fast asleep in my arms which I know is bad but I missed her so much I can't stand to put her down.

OneNiceGreenLeaf Wed 10-Oct-12 20:51:02

Aah, Pasta, it's so hard isn't it? I know exactly where you're coming from. Was it a settling in session or a proper session?

My 10 month DD has been in nursery for 3 weeks now. I was so anxious about how DD would nap there as she really needs her sleep! We had 4 settling in sessions (2 a week) before she started properly. Everytime we went, she slept a little bit longer and better.

Now, although she doesn't sleep for as long as she does when she's at home, she does manage 2 decent naps and my mind is totally at rest. I showed DD's key worker exactly what I do at home as part of her nap routine, so they could do the same. And I've asked them to leave her for up to an hour to self settle, as this is what I do at home.

Have you talked to the nursery staff since?

Pastabee Thu 11-Oct-12 07:39:08

Yes, it was a settling in session. I've booked extra ones throughout October so she can get used to it. She has since been back for another half day and had a lot of fun and looked really happy when I turned up early to 'spy' on her but she just went straight through with no nap as it was just a morning session.

I'm very pleased with the nursery so far and they have made lots of notes on how to get her to sleep and I send her with a sleeping bag and comforter as that is what she is used to. DD really likes the nursery staff so no worries on that front. Just have to cross my fingers she will sleep when she does a full day and it can't be avoided!

OneNiceGreenLeaf Thu 11-Oct-12 18:27:56

Glad you're pleased with the nursery. That makes all the difference I think. Hopefully it'll just be a matter of time before she gives in and sleeps! It's such a new environment, it'll just take some getting used to for her.

Good luck with it all.

Pastabee Thu 11-Oct-12 21:14:22

Thanks onenicegreenleaf. I live in hope....! I didn't have the easiest time getting DD into a nap routine so it's always been the most stressful part of looking after her.

OneNiceGreenLeaf Thu 11-Oct-12 21:23:47

I'm the same. It's the one thing I get really anxious about, if she's had enough sleep. I think it's because her sleeping was so rubbish to start with smile

Thorpster Fri 12-Oct-12 10:12:20

It's very early days and I'm sure she will settle in soon. I used to get the nursery to text me some photos of DS during the first few days and he always looked so happy. It was very reassuring and kept me going at work too.

Pastabee Fri 12-Oct-12 12:51:02

SHE SLEPT! Half day again this morning and when I picked her up they said she'd been asleep for an hour. When I expressed surprise they looked at me as though I was quite strange and said 'she looked tired so we put her in her sleeping bag, gave her a cuddle and popped her in a cot'.

So relieved. I know she will be happy there now as she loves playing, the food they cook her and the activities they do. Sleeping was the only stumbling block.

OneNiceGreenLeaf Fri 12-Oct-12 19:43:58

Yayee! Brilliant news!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now