Talk

Advanced search

Any school science technicians out there?

(8 Posts)
HouseLikeAZoo Fri 28-Sep-12 14:36:51

I have just heard that I have an interview for a school science technician job next week.

I haven't been in paid employment since going on maternity leave in 2003, although I have done lots of voluntary work in the meantime. I have a science degree and lab experience - although I am a biologist and this job is for a physics lab. I haven't worked in a school before.

In short, HELP! Any interview tips (haven't had a job interview for 10+ yrs!)? I would love to hear from people working in school labs, just to give me an idea of the kinds of things that might be expected of me. Pretty please?

flubba Sat 29-Sep-12 10:07:53

I'm not, but DH is Head of Science. Have asked him and he says...

In interview he'd ask you to make up a solution and he titrates it to make sure it's accurate. Seems a bit obvious but apparently many can't do it!

In labs: be organised, make up solutions, get equipment ready etc etc

HTH a bit. Good luck!

Knowsabitabouteducation Sat 29-Sep-12 10:45:36

In a school science department, the teachers will give you orders for the practical equipment they need for lessons in the coming week (or maybe even later that day). Your job is to get out the equipment and lay it out. Afterwards, to put it away again.

In addition to day-to-day work like this, you will have to make sure that the equipment is well-maintained, eg batteries are still okay.

Depending on the teachers, you may be asked occasionally to help out with practicals in lessons.

When teachers ask for equipment, they might not give you very good instructions, so you should try to anticipate their needs. If the give you an experiment from a new course, you may not have the equipment in school, so you would work with the teacher to work out alternatives.

If the teacher is trying out a new experiment before unleashing it on the class, you should be on hand to help out.

You would be expected to be handy with the school computer network, so that you can find the resources needed for each experiment, eg download worksheets and exam papers. You may be asked to do photcopying, prepare exam papers and display work. You may need to liaise with other support staff in the school, eg maintenance and IT tech on behalf of your department.

As a physics technician, you won't need to make up solutions, agar plates, feed fish etc, but you should be aware of what your colleagues do as they may need your help from time to time. You won't do as much ordering of consumables. You will work closely with the other technicians as it is likely that you will have to share some equipment, eg power packs.

HappyHippyChick Sat 29-Sep-12 11:40:15

I am, I love it. I got my job after 5 years out of the workplace with less experience (none!) than you. Good luck with the interview - they'll be lucky to have you!!

HouseLikeAZoo Sat 29-Sep-12 13:13:53

Thank you all! Really appreciate your help smile

Will keep you posted x

Cathpot Sat 29-Sep-12 13:21:07

Hi - I am a science teacher and I just wanted to say that a good lab technician is VITAL to the sanity of teachers. We have two women in our department and they are fab, it makes a huge difference. When you are standing infront of a tricky class- not having the right equipment or having bits of kit missing can ruin a lesson. I know some friends who work in departments where the technician are very difficult to work with, unflexible and unhelpful, I feel very lucky in our department. Perhaps mention that you realise how important it is to be organised and get it right, and to be flexible and helpful. Hope it goes well.

HouseLikeAZoo Tue 02-Oct-12 17:44:00

I got the job! grin

Super chuffed. Interview was much less scary than I was expecting, no practical test, and I've even been given a choice of biology or physics (am a biologist so it was a no brainer). Just need the references and CRB check but will hopefully start in a couple of weeks. Yay!

Knowsabitabouteducation Tue 02-Oct-12 18:21:24

Comgratutions!

Let us know how you get on smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now