Talk

Advanced search

Is there any way to get out of paying back enhanced mat pay if I don't go back?

(7 Posts)
LaTristesse Thu 27-Sep-12 15:45:37

That's it really.

Don't want to go back in April, but as I understand it because they gave me additional mat pay for 3 months on top of my smp if I don't go back I have to pay this back. Is there anyway round this? I have been there 7 years, this is my 2nd lot of maternity leave (2nd child), DH works there too and is pretty high up, I do love the job just cannot leave my babies and they are not flexible enough to fit in with term time only!

Any thoughts anyone (or am I wAnting to have my cake and eat it?!)

SecretCermonials Thu 27-Sep-12 15:48:02

The only way would be to "go back" and then get yourself signed off, obviously thats rather unscrupulous though...

notcitrus Thu 27-Sep-12 17:06:34

How long do you have to go back for? I've got a right in my contract to do 3 days a week which works out as 12 weeks required to avoid paying back mat pay. Could you cope for 2-3 months?
Also they may waive the requirement if your children are ill or if you agree to return slightly later to arrange childcare - but otherwise it's work or refund.

jkklpu Thu 27-Sep-12 17:10:23

go back, resign and work your notice

hairytale Fri 28-Sep-12 12:37:46

Cake and eat it. Sorry.

scurryfunge Fri 28-Sep-12 12:40:58

Agree, go back and hand in your notice.

LaTristesse Wed 03-Oct-12 19:51:49

Thanks all. I called our HR and apparently if I give notice 2 months before the end of my mat leave that effectively counts as my notice so I don't have to pay anything back. Result!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now