Talk

Advanced search

No luck on the work front so applied for youth work (voluntary)

(3 Posts)
CuriousMama Fri 21-Sep-12 13:23:43

I've applied for so many jobs lately, also searching online constantly but there's nothing local.
I did fancy care work and applied to local care homes but there's nothing going. I keep asking friends who work in homes to keep an eye out. I also love dcs and get on well with all ages so would perhaps enjoy youth work?
With that in mind I've applied for 2 voluntary jobs, one in a youth centre and another as a school menor. I'd love to do the prison visits role but it's too far to travel. Same with young offenders.
So it's wait and see now. I'm quite looking forward to it so I hope I get some joy? It's always something to put on a cv too. And may keep me off mn? wink
Has anyone else done/doing voluntary work?

Capabilitymom Fri 21-Sep-12 22:49:50

I would love a job in administration so for the past year I have been volunteering as a clerical assistant in a local charity's office and also in a school office, both one morning a week. I really enjoy both jobs and have learnt a lot.
It gives you up to date experience in the type of workplace you like, and it provides you with a credible reference for any future job applications.
Saying that, since I have been volunteering, I have actually got interviews for a couple of jobs, but haven't been successful. But previously I didn't even get an interview, so I have to look at that as progress!
Also you are making contacts and meeting people who might be able to steer you towards your ideal job.
Good luck with the job search.

CuriousMama Sat 22-Sep-12 04:03:47

Thanks for your post Capabilitymom. It's good you've had interview experience, I haven't got to that stage yet.
I agree more contacts can only be a good thing? I hope I hear back soon am really keen to start.If not I'll apply for others.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now