Talk

Advanced search

Returning to work 4 days pw - what's the best day to take off?

(49 Posts)
londoncitymum Wed 18-Jul-12 21:08:51

Have a 4mo DS and planning to return to work in January. I'm going to request a 4-day working week and have to suggest to HR dept which day I take off.

Think Friday most likely not an option as too many others have this day off at company so was wondering if others could let me know the pros and cons of other days of the week e.g. Monday could be great as you have a long weekend but maybe get behind on work as you miss the start of the working week.

Work in a fairly fast-paced media job.

OP’s posts: |
scummymummy Wed 18-Jul-12 21:11:07

friday best
monday 2nd best
wednesday 3rd best
tuesday and thursday = 4th best

SkivingAgain Wed 18-Jul-12 21:12:40

For me, I would prefer Wednesday - never too far to another day off. When I did part time I worked Monday, Wednesday and Friday. If having a bad day at home I was always off in work the next day.

GwendolineMaryLacey Wed 18-Jul-12 21:14:32

Mondays so you don't get stung by the pro rata bank holiday allowance.

wildkat Wed 18-Jul-12 21:15:30

It may be easier to get a nursery place if you don't want Friday - possibly true to a smaller extent for Monday too...

Northernlurker Wed 18-Jul-12 21:15:43

Wednesday isn't great because you have two 'ends of week to get everything done by' days. I would go for MOndays. Assuming you get Bank holidays off that means you should get a pro rata allowance of leave to use at other times as otherwise you would only benefit from Good Friday and Christmas. Does that make sense?

Chooster Wed 18-Jul-12 21:15:48

Wednesday best because you only ever away from little one for 2 days at a time and you get to start and end the week so feels less 'part time' to your colleagues. People don't mind waiting an extra day to see you or get work done but it seems longer when tacked into a weekend.

Beamur Wed 18-Jul-12 21:15:53

I do a 4 day week and don't do Mondays. Like it a lot. Every week feels like a bank holiday coming up!

trixymalixy Wed 18-Jul-12 21:16:23

Mondays because most bank hold are on a Monday and it therefor gives you more flexibility with your annual leave entitlement.

Beamur Wed 18-Jul-12 21:16:30

I quite like the 4 days together at work too - helps me feel more in 'work' mode than 'home'.

2tired2bewitty Wed 18-Jul-12 21:16:33

Are there any particular groups or classes that you might want to take DS to? I have a colleague who has Tuesday off as it lets her take her older kids to their swimming classes.

TheSurgeonsMate Wed 18-Jul-12 21:20:18

I find that a few local attractions are closed on a Monday. Cupcake shop, printmaker's workshop and gallery, that sort of thing. Now that dd is older, I don't tend to swan around local attractions that much, but it was a bit disappointing when she was a tiny.

becstarsky Wed 18-Jul-12 21:20:25

I have Wednesdays off. It works well - Mondays are busy, Tuesdays I catch up, Wednesday off, then Thursday I can clear anything that came in on Wednesday, and Fridays are quiet as so many have that day off. So fridays I do things that need concentration. Plus I'm never far from a day off!

purpleroses Wed 18-Jul-12 21:23:42

Wednesday is the day I like off best. Don't get too behind with shopping, housework,etc.

Friday is the best day off from work's point of view - an office job where it's the day people are least likely to arrange meetings in.

Finbar Wed 18-Jul-12 21:24:54

Monday!

lambinapram Wed 18-Jul-12 21:27:00

I take mondays so I don't have to use up too much of my annual leave on bank holidays. That way I get a similar amount of days holidays to the rest of my full time colleagues.

SESthebrave Wed 18-Jul-12 21:29:43

I do 4 days a week and take a Wednesday off. I agree with the poster who said it's good to not have more than 2 consecutive days apart from DC.

Treats Wed 18-Jul-12 21:34:25

I have Mondays. It's great when we've had a busy weekend because I've got a day to catch up on washing, shopping and so on before I'm at work again. The downside is that some shops, businesses, etc. are closed on Monday (although not that many) and there aren't many classes, etc. for DD to go to.

I get pay instead of leave for Bank Holidays.

Littlefish Wed 18-Jul-12 21:34:29

I have Wednesdays off. It took me a while to get used to, but now I love it. It gives me a chance to catch up in the middle of the week, I'm not shattered by the weekend and I'm at work for both the beginning and end of the week.

Treats Wed 18-Jul-12 21:35:28

Oh and also - it's better for DD that she's in nursery for a stretch of four days, rather than two days on, two days off, which I think might be a bit unsettling for her. It would be OK now that she's nearly 3, but when she started (at 6mo) I think it would have been difficult for her.

Chrysanthemum5 Wed 18-Jul-12 21:41:27

Any day except Friday. if you have Fridays off then when you go home on Thursday you'll get comments about having a long weekend, enjoy your holiday etc Wheareas is you are off another day people don't seem to notice. it may not matter where you work, but I work in quite a sexist environment and being part time means people don't take you seriously.

BlackholesAndRevelations Wed 18-Jul-12 21:48:40

I enjoyed having Wednesdays off for a breather and to catch up! Two days on at a time was also fab. Sadly I'm full time now :-((

RedBlanket Wed 18-Jul-12 21:48:50

Friday would be my first choice. Gives you a chance to get all the 'housey' stuff done so you're clear for the weekend

Although Wednesday is great for breaking up your week, but when I did I found that I missed out on lots of meetings. No matter how many times you tell them people forget that you're not working. Noone ever arranges important meetings for Fridays!

Catilla Wed 18-Jul-12 23:14:54

It really depends on your working environment. I have always had Wednesdays off - initially so that I only had to cope for two days at a time, and now (DCs are 5 & 8) it is easier to keep up with everything. I find when you have a day off next to the weekend, it feels like a really long gap eg. from Friday to Tuesday is nearly half the (elapsed) week that you aren't there.

Everyone is different though, and it does depend on your workplace. Mine is very flexible about how I use my leave so I can move days around if I need to, even between weeks.

Good luck!

NonnoMum Wed 18-Jul-12 23:20:40

Wednesday would be best for your DC.
It's good to have a break from all the germs/colds etc at Nursery or the childminders.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in