Talk

Advanced search

Anyone done the Chapterhouse proofreading course?

(12 Posts)
bottersnike Sun 29-Jan-06 14:24:56

I'm thinking of doing their proofreading and copy-editing course. Has anyone done it?
Did you find it useful as a route into freelance work?
Thank you.

snafu Sun 29-Jan-06 14:52:51

If you search for Chapterhouse in archived messages you'll find some useful info, bottersnike. In a nutshell, there are other proofreading courses that you'd be better off taking if you're looking to get into freelance work Chapterhouse are not a terribly well-regarded outfit, tbh...

Good luck anyway!

MissChief Wed 01-Feb-06 13:38:14

applied for this a few yrs ago and it was utter crap, tbh! Cd have put something better & more literate together myself and I know nothing about proof-reading! why not try yr local fe college?

throckenholt Wed 01-Feb-06 13:40:24

I thought about this years ago (proofreading not the specific course) - I came to the conclusion that you had to have contacts in the field to get taken on - so many people think it is a good way to work from home - and all of them could probably do it ok.

carla Wed 01-Feb-06 13:42:30

Message deleted

JanH Wed 01-Feb-06 13:52:52

SFEP was recommended in an earlier thread.

EmilyGraham Fri 04-Jul-08 14:41:23

one of my friends did a chapterhouse course about a year ago and has managed to get some work with local companies, but mainly uses the qualification as an extra on his cv - and it was picked up on in a recent interview by employers who were impressed with this. i'm surprised at the negative comments because his experience was very positive. he did a course by post, and i'm thinking of doing the same as something to do while the baby's little! i figure a chapterhouse course can only help me get back into work afterwards, and might give me some work from home until then.

ProofPerfect Wed 12-Apr-17 09:53:56

I don't recommend at all. Significant concerns.

SapphireStrange Wed 12-Apr-17 09:58:22

* I came to the conclusion that you had to have contacts in the field to get taken on*

This is true IME.

so many people think it is a good way to work from home - and all of them could probably do it ok. Yes, it's a good way to work from home, but it's not true that most people could do it OK. Experience in-house is very important, again IME. When I worked in-house I never took on freelancers who had just done a short course out of the blue. You need the qualities and experience that come from working in the field (which is hard to get into/succeed in unless you're very motivated and good).

Having said that, I'd second looking into SFEP.

ProofPerfect Wed 12-Apr-17 10:14:57

It's like so many skills, you need to do the marketing in tandem with them. But soon they start coming back and recommending you. You may not make a profit in the first year, but your client-base will soon build up.

monkeyblonde Thu 18-May-17 17:16:47

This is an area that I am looking to get into despite no direct experience. I have amazing attention to detail, and plenty of other work and study experience. Would someone be kind enough to help me with some pointers as to how I might start off this kind of career please?

ProofPerfect Thu 18-May-17 17:37:18

Strongly recommend training through the SfEP or PCT.
(Don't learn the hard way)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now