Talk

Advanced search

Going back to work - how to introduce baby to a stranger

(7 Posts)
Marabou Mon 24-Oct-11 21:36:38

I originally posted this on development and behaviour, but just realised I might get more responses here..

My baby is 25 weeks today and I will be going back to work part-time when he is 29 weeks old. I will be working three days a week and two of those days I will be working from home for 6 hours each day. DH will look after DS on the day when I work from the office and one of his aunties will look after him on the days I work from home.

I'm a bit concerned about the days when I work from home, because I've started to notice DS is a bit wary of strangers and unfortunately he hasn't had a chance to really get to know his aunty. Due to her schedule before I start work, she will not be able to come round that often and therefore the chances to introduce DS to her properly are quite slim.

Although I will of course be at home when DS is with her, I won't be able to fully concentrate on working whilst taking care of him at the same time and I'm quite anxious to see how DS gets on. I was just wondering if anyone has experience in stranger anxiety and how long it might last until DC get used to new people and what might I do to ease this phase for him.

Many thanks!

azazello Mon 24-Oct-11 21:59:46

It might be worth posting this on the childminders/ nannies board as they deal with similar situations. Can you get DS' aunty round a couple of times and be there while she plays with your DS? When you are actually working, it might be worth spending some time with him every 2 hours or so but encouraging your sister/Sil to take him out to a music group/ walk etc in the meantime so he gets used to being without you and having fun?

flossymuldoon Mon 24-Oct-11 22:04:08

Photos.

We have an adopted DS and as part of the introduction process (before we actually met him) we produced a book of photos that his foster carer showed him daily. It was obvious he knew our faces when he saw us for the first time.
Also he recently met his paternal grandparents for the first time as they live in the US. We showed him photos for a couple of weeks before and he once he met them he was so comfortable that it was like he's known them all his life.

Our DS was 16 months old when we started the intros process so as your baby is so young what about laminating some photos so you can show them to him and he can hold them?

Marabou Mon 24-Oct-11 22:11:47

Hi there and many thanks for replying! Oh I hadn't come to think of the childminders board, I will re-post there as well smile

Yes the idea is for her to visit as many times she can before I start work. The problem is she is working part-time herself and about to start a part-time course as well, so she will be quite busy for the next few months.. I'm thinking to do some work during DS naps for the first couple of days so I will be able to be with them if need be and make the transition as smooth as possible for him. I was also thinking about DH sister taking DS to the park etc. but DS doesn't do very well sitting in his pram even though he's facing me at the moment and I'm thinking that might be a bit overwhelming for him, so I think playing and reading a book with aunty will have to do for starters..

Marabou Mon 24-Oct-11 22:13:54

Uups a bit of cross-posting there...

Wau, hadn't thought about photos, thanks for the tip flossymuldoon, I will definitely give it a try!

cat64 Tue 25-Oct-11 17:18:54

Message withdrawn

Marabou Tue 25-Oct-11 19:51:21

You think so..? I was so thinking this could have saved the day somewhat sad.. Sorry this is my first baby and I'm not very familiar with what babies can do at any particular stage. I'm just sort of rolling with the punchessmile..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now