Talk

Advanced search

return to work meeting - advice please

(3 Posts)
boysandcars Sun 23-Oct-11 10:14:27

Hello mumsnetters

I wouldn’t mind a bit of advice on my return to work. I’ve been working full time in a professional role at a company for the last 10 years. After having my daughter in May I recently put in a flexible work application to work 3 days a week from January 2012, mon-weds with 1 day working from home (I previously did 5 days with 1 ½ - 2 days working from home). I pointed out that childcare would cover all 3 days so I wouldn’t be trying to juggle on my day working from home. I highlighted potential issues and how they could be addressed eg. other p/t workers may (and most likely would) want to increase their hours as per my current maternity arrangements.

I was invited to a meeting and told that I could work 3 days a week, probably could do mon-weds but might have to be available on other days if given enough notice and that I couldn’t do a day from home. I pointed out that a day from home could be justified if I was given sufficient work to do on the other days that generated enough admin (I thought this would be a more efficient use of my time – surely better for the company?) but they couldn’t give me any idea of what work I would be doing over 3 days. By the way my role involves a lot of travel, which is why I thought 3 more efficient days would be better rather than the previous pattern of being randomly sent to different places on different days (the culture of the company is small and friendly but a little haphazard).

So...I’m not sure if I should push for a bit more clarity, as I’ve been told it will be sorted once I return in January? Also I’ve been told that how I arrange my days (eg 1 day from home) is a time management issue and not a childcare issue so not relevant to my flexible working app and not something they will commit to? Any thoughts?

KCEHNR Sun 23-Oct-11 14:12:06

If as you say, "I was invited to a meeting and told that I could work 3 days a week, probably could do mon-weds but might have to be available on other days if given enough notice and that I couldn’t do a day from home."... then it's clear to me that they don't expect you to be doing an time from home. It's 3 days in the work place. If that's not acceptable to you you should really get it in writing, but it sounds like they don't want to commit to it.

Frankly I would count myself lucky that they're happy to cut you back to P/T hours.

hairylights Sun 23-Oct-11 19:28:57

I think it sounds like they have been vey clear. What further clarity are you looking for?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now