Talk

Advanced search

Being out of work for a long time, will I ever get back?

(7 Posts)
oldteacher Thu 06-Oct-11 15:17:49

Feeling a bit 'woe is me' about the whole job situation. I'm trying to get back into proper work but finding it an uphill struggle and just feel that I'm never going to get back especially given the current economic climate.

Background- I used to be a teacher but finished when I had my first child, just over 7 years ago. It was mainly due to moving areas, but I was also glad to finish and concentrate on having a family. I've had 3 more children since then and now most are at Primary school I'm trying to look at returning. I've been busy since having children with various voluntary work with the NCT and a toddler group and feel I have accrued other valuable and tranferable skills. I also ran my own business for a short time, finished a masters degree and currently I'm volunteering in school a day a week to try and get refreshed in teaching.

I've applied for a few jobs and had 1 unsuccessful interview but realistically I'm limited to part and term time work and also a smallish area for possible work. I'm looking at everything possible, teaching and other suitable jobs. The interview I had did suggest I register for supply work at that school which I did but have heard nothing so far- making me feel even more on the scrap heap. Starting to feel very despondent about the situation, and unsure at how I can do more to improve my prospects. I'd consider retraining in something but I do like teaching and the area of education, and partly that it's a bit daft given I'm already trained in something. I've never felt so down about the future and regret having so much time out. And at the same time I feel angry that there is so little help and guidance for SAHP to get back into the workplace when they're ready.

So what else can I do, what else can I try? Is there any hope that I can be economically desirable again?

TryLikingClarity Thu 06-Oct-11 17:00:56

I don't have any advice to give you (sorry!) but I saw this other thread and thought it might stir some ideas in your head.

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/going_back_to_work/1311429-Yay-It-can-happen-After-over-a-year-of-trying-I-have-finally-found-a-suitable-part-time-job

oldteacher Thu 06-Oct-11 22:12:44

Thank you- that thread is inspiring and I will check out those sites. I know things are tough for a lot of people ATM, and I knew that it would take a while but I wasn't prepared for how the frustration would feel.

MrsHuxtable Fri 07-Oct-11 13:03:37

Sorry not be more helpful. Just wanted to say that 7 years is not a long time, considering you've had 4 children!

zans Sat 08-Oct-11 19:09:36

Hey oldteacher, I totally understand where you are coming from and I really sympathise with you. Our situations are so similar. I too am a Primary teacher (well - was....) but haven't worked for 12 years whilst bringing up my 3 children. I am now looking to go back to work, but having been out for so long, my confidence in my work skills is really low. Your idea of volunteering in a local school is great and I think I will give that a go. My problem is that I'm not sure I really want to go back into teaching, so volunteering will give me that insight. But if not teaching what else? I feel a bit stuck as I have no burning desire for one particular job so wouldn't know what to retrain in anyway!

I agree with everything you said, it is hard to get back to work, and after your 7 years, I think it is hard to compete against those in interviews that have more recent experience. Is there no chance of supply in the school you are volunteering in? As they will know you and how you work.

I think you just have to believe in yourself and keep applying for those jobs, you will get something eventually. Have you thought about tutoring? It's fairly flexible and you could do that until you get the job you want.

oldteacher Mon 10-Oct-11 14:09:18

Thank you for your replies. Zans, it's so hard if you're not sure of what else you can do. Teaching is almost an entirely different job from anything else! Strangely enough I am looking at tutoring as I also used to do this years ago, it will be a bit tricky with times as DH doesn't get back until 6 most nights and any other childcare situation will be hard to manage but even with a few tutees that might help.

GlendaJones Mon 10-Oct-11 23:39:57

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now