Talk

Advanced search

Telephone interviews, your tips please?

(5 Posts)
aftereight Mon 03-Oct-11 14:48:09

It appears that I have a telephone interview next week. Never had one before, am pretty nervous of the phone at the best of times. The role is a customer focused one, so this really does count.

Help please! Any advice would be fantastic!

flowery Mon 03-Oct-11 14:49:32

Running off but quick tips..

Stand up
Be dressed smartly with shoes on
Smile

TheVibe Mon 03-Oct-11 21:45:42

I entirely agree with Flowery in a confidence way. I also think you should have a pen and paper handy as over the phone it is easy to miss or forget parts of the question - pauses seem weird over the phone but are just as acceptable as in an interview. If there is any opportunity, I would try and stand out, make a small joke or engage the interviewer in conversation.

wompoopigeon Mon 03-Oct-11 22:01:05

Think in advance about exactly what you say when you pick up the phone and exactly what you want your last words to be at the end of the call.
Standing up and having a pen and paper are both great pieces of advice.
Also, make sure you have at least one question for them, if they offer you the chance to ask a question. When I interview I am always gobsmacked by how few people have thought in advance of a decent question about the job, company etc
Good Luck!

aftereight Mon 03-Oct-11 23:05:01

Thanks everyone, some great points there. I have lots of questions prepared so I will write them down for when my mind goes blank! I hadn't thought of the first/last few words thing, so much more important on the phone than in person I imagine.
I will make sure I am wearing heels & lipstick (and obviously something in-between grin) and have notebook and pen to hand.
Am stupidly nervous, which is silly as I know I could easily do the job!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now