Talk

Advanced search

Where does one fine part-time employment

(9 Posts)
Darlingdamsel Sat 01-Oct-11 20:33:42

Hi

As a single mom, I have to go back to work even though my little baby is only 2 months. Sigh ..

My background is quite professional (finance, consulting, etc) and while I am starting an online business at the same time, I would love to find a part-time job 2-3 days a week to both earn much needed income AND get me out of the house (so not looking for a home-based job).

The questions is ... how does one find one?

Does anyone have any recommendedations of how they found one (e.g. agencies, types of jobs, etc). Even if its not in my background ...

Darlingdamsel Sat 01-Oct-11 20:45:39

Oops ... pardon the type in the title! Side-tracked by the X-Factor. Smile

Darlingdamsel Sat 01-Oct-11 20:46:16

And the other one in the last message. I think I will quit now.

Smile

TheFarSide Sat 01-Oct-11 20:46:53

I am also seeking part-time work - I want some money coming in while I set up my freelance career. I'm a careers adviser by profession but I began my working life doing secretarial and admin work.

I've found there are part-time jobs in my job sectors but not many. I've registered with online employment agencies (Reed), and The Guardian online, and set up searches so I get daily emails of all new part-time jobs. I've also registered with the NHS and jobs.ac.uk for part-time job alerts, as the public sector is often more amenable to flexible working. I've seen a few admin and book-keeping jobs that might suit you - pay isn't always great though.

Obviously a lot of retail and social care work is part-time, but you might feel that's too far removed from your existing skills and preferences.

Tiggles Sun 02-Oct-11 08:07:00

Our council's website often has part time jobs e.g. teaching assistants, IT etc.

SweetGrapes Sun 02-Oct-11 08:20:53

These two might be usefull:
www.womenlikeus.org.uk/
and www.capabilityjane.com/
They have a steady stream of opportunities coming - specially with your finance background you may find something.

SweetGrapes Sun 02-Oct-11 08:21:32

Oh.. the first one is london though.

Darlingdamsel Sun 02-Oct-11 10:39:56

Thanks! Those are some very good ideas and websites.

Anymore are welcome ...

Time to get the CV updated.

I wonder about job shares?

TheFarSide Sun 02-Oct-11 11:42:20

Big employers who embrace flexible working will often state a post is available for job share. If you see a full-time post, it's worth asking whether they would consider part-time or a job share.

A friend and I approached a small company once and asked if we could apply for a full-time job as a package. The employer was willing to consider job share but felt he would rather pick his own job sharers separately.

In short, some employers are open to offers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now