Talk

Advanced search

temporary return to work with teeny baby - best age?

(13 Posts)
lottielob Fri 30-Sep-11 19:49:57

I have to return to work full time for a 12 week stint (before having another chunk of time off and returning part time) but I have a bit of flexibility when I can do it.

Basically I either have to do this full-time stint when my baby will be 4 months old or 5 months old. If I go back at four months, I'll then get three months off before I go back part time but if I go back when he's 5 months I'll only get two months off before I go back part time. Childcare is sorted either way with family. What do people think?

I'm leaning towards five months but not sure...
Thanks!

ThatsNotMyBabyBelly Fri 30-Sep-11 20:05:01

That's a tough one. I don't think baby will mind either way, it depends on when you are more comfortable. 4 months is when they are less aware, but there isn't much in it. Obviously smile

You will miss dc far more than they will miss you being spoilt at granny's, or wherever they go. If you would rather go at 5 months, then do so.

If you are bf'ing you would need to take that into account as well, in which case 5 months may well be better.

slartybartfast Fri 30-Sep-11 20:12:14

i would say earlier, since they are a lot more fun at around 8 months, and the weaning is a bit of a pita. although this is now 6 months.
are you breast feeding?

lottielob Fri 30-Sep-11 20:17:48

He's not out yet! I'm planning on breast feeding but don't think I'll beat myself up if I do a full four months then express as much as possible instead of five iyswim.

Is there any significant difference between how knackered I'm likely to be? Or will I pretty much be exhausted at either point?

ThatsNotMyBabyBelly Fri 30-Sep-11 20:39:03

There is maybe a better chance of sleeping through at 5 months, ompletely depends on the baby. Dd1 slept 12 hours at 11 weeks. dd2 is 4months and on 2 feeds a night and a dream feed.

If it were me I would go back at 4 months, so you get the extra additional month off before going back part time.

ChippingIn Fri 30-Sep-11 20:44:50

Well it's not an additional month off is it - is just moves when you have it grin

I'd go back at 5 months. More likely to be sleeping through (or at least longer), it gives your baby an extra month of fully BF (if you do that) and baby wont seem quite as small smile

But either way, it wont make a huge amount of difference.

ThatsNotMyBabyBelly Fri 30-Sep-11 20:52:01

Ha - sorry read that incorrectly! blush grin

dontrunwithscissors Sat 01-Oct-11 17:31:08

i would go for 4 months as I really don't think it makes much difference. But, then again, that's looking at it from the fact that DD1 didn't sleep through until just before her 3rd birthday and DD2 looks like she's taking after her big sister (currently at 20 months without a full night's sleep....)

nickschick Sat 01-Oct-11 17:36:32

What months are you talking about? would your return to work be near any important dates or seasons etc?

lottielob Sat 01-Oct-11 19:34:07

It's either going to be March through to the start of June or April through to the start of July so seasons/weather wise it won't make any difference.

I know the agonising is my issue as baby will be fine with my mum. I already have guilt issues and he's not even born yet!

Kind of comforting that there's no consensus so either option can't be that bad smile

pocketfullofposies Sat 01-Oct-11 19:37:17

Ooooooh, tricky.

My DD1 and a friends little boy both suffered HIDEOUSLY from the notorious 4 month sleep regression/growth spurt.

BUt my DD2 didn't hit that until 6 months.

Hard to say really...

pocketfullofposies Sat 01-Oct-11 19:38:49

Don't feel guilty either way.

Baby will be with your Mum and this is something you just need to get through so you can push through to a more balanced work/baby relationship.

lottielob Sun 02-Oct-11 08:20:21

Think I might go for four months date and if I really feel I need to change, maybe they'll let me push it back, easier than bringing it forward I think.

Also decided that I'm not going to waste time and energy feeling guilty.

Thanks people for your thoughts, it's been useful to mull it over!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now