Talk

Advanced search

Request to extend maternity leave

(7 Posts)
Josieannathe2nd Fri 30-Sep-11 11:05:57

Hello everyone, I'm just after a few opinions please before I get in touch with work...

I'm planning on having 12 months off and then going back part time in May (I work for the NHS). I've found a lovely child minder who lives very close to me, would be able to do nursery/school drop off in the future BUT she doesn't have a space till August. I'm wondering if I could ask work for 3 months unpaid leave...or 2 months unpaid leave and then 1 month annual leave?

Is this a complete no-no or worth an ask? I know there are other childminders out there but I did really like her and it seems a shame to have to find another one for 3 months. No family nearby :-(

StealthPolarBear Fri 30-Sep-11 11:11:46

you're entitled to unpaid parental levae (exact time to be negotiated) so maybe it could be tagged on to end. You also accrue your year's leave and BHs, so should ahve at least 6 weeks of paid leave to tag onto the end of your ML

MrsHuxtable Sun 02-Oct-11 00:43:32

You can take 4 weeks unpaid parental leave in a year but your employer has to agree to when exactly you are allowed to take it. They can defer the dates you want but you generally must be allowed it within 6 months of wanting it.
Then you have your annual leave as Stealth has said. It could work out if your work is co-operative.

izzybizzybuzzybees Sun 02-Oct-11 01:05:14

NHS workers get 4 weeks paid and 13weeks unpaid leave per child to be taken by child's 14th birthday. Shouldn't be a hassle to add it onto existing ML.

Grevling Sun 02-Oct-11 22:50:33

izzy it might depend on the trust no?

izzybizzybuzzybees Mon 03-Oct-11 22:02:44

Sorry I got it wrong, its 13weeks total and this is confirmed on [[ m.direct.gov.uk/syndicationController?action=view¶m=DG_10029416&utn=214745e605da4e9c8dbc201110032200 the direct gov website ]]

Josieannathe2nd Tue 04-Oct-11 22:13:12

Thanks for your advice, I phoned work and they were very understanding and said that it's bit soon to sort things out for definite but as I'm being covered by a supply member of staff it won't be hard to cover me for an extra 3 months (especially as it's unpaid!) so it should be OK :-) I'm still hoping things might change with the child minder but hooray for parental leave!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now