Talk

Advanced search

First month back after DD1. Concentration all over the place.

(4 Posts)
birdofthenorth Thu 29-Sep-11 14:27:52

I have started back at work 3 weeks ago after just over a year's mat leave following DD1.

I am now working 4 days a week, mostly from home, and am v grateful to my employers for this flexibilty.

BUT I can't concentrate at all. Short term tasks okish, but I've had this ongoing longer term project I'm supposed to have nearly finished now and hav barely started. I just can't focus or find motivation. Spend a fair bit of the day worrying about DD who wails when she's dropped off (two days nursery, two days childminder) but even when she's not on my mind I'm struggling to put pen to paper.

I worked from home pretty effectively (not 100%, but 80- 90!) pre-baby, but now feel isolated and endlessly distracted (not least with thinking about TTC DC2!).

Anyone also found they just can't get their brain in gear and don't really care about their job anymore?

Thanks!

AKMD Fri 30-Sep-11 14:20:47

Me!

If your office is commutable, I'd say go in. It could help focus you a bit more if other people are tere and you are in an environment you don't associate with your DD. You don't have to give up working-from-home status, just find a spare desk when you need to concentrate.

Also be aware that you can get sacked for not doing your work properly. Work out a plan now of how you are going to finish this project in time, in your own time if needs be, because otherwise you will pretty shortly have questions being asked about your performance.

birdofthenorth Fri 30-Sep-11 16:41:59

This is good advice, thank you. I had been thinking of asking if I can use an office desk 2 days a week and work from home the other 2 (all a bit complicated due to split childcare locations and internal cost code nonsense).

I have made a bit of headway today and feel I've got to grips with my current project a bit more -will probably have to do some nights after DD is in bed but I should get there.

I have also just had my first months wages, which is nice after the last three months of unpaid mat leave, and a good reminder as to why I need to get in gear every morning!

Might ask my employers for a bit more training and explain a little that my confidence has taken a knock but I'm committed to improving and excelling (ok so excelling seems unlikely between you and me, but if I have to be apart from DD I'd rather be making good use of my time and talents).

Thanks for responding!

AKMD Fri 30-Sep-11 16:43:22

Good, I hope you get it done on time!

The confidence route sounds like a great way to approach your employers. Good thinking!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now