Talk

Advanced search

Any Occupational Therapists on here? Can I ask you some questions please?

(12 Posts)
peggotty Tue 27-Sep-11 21:27:11

I am considering applying to do an occupational therapy course at university. I think I fit the criteria to be an occupational therapist in a number of ways: empathy, sensitivity, observant, practical, enjoy problem solving etc, but I worry that as I am not an extrovert I won't be able to do it. Can you tell me if it's necessary to be really outgoing to have OT as a career? I have been a SAHM for 7 years which has definitely sapped my confidence, so I don't know if I am making a mountain out of a molehill over this issue. I've seen necessary OT qualities being described as being a 'people person' which is definitely not me, although I do think I would enjoy helping people to gain independence. Any opinions please?!

AgentProvocateur Tue 27-Sep-11 21:42:25

I'm not an OT, but two of my friends are, and they are definitely not extroverts. They're calm, kind, empathetic people who are good at listening and non-judgmental. Hope this helps.

peggotty Tue 27-Sep-11 22:14:20

Thanks agent, that is useful, although I really can't describe myself as calm unfortunately grin

peggotty Wed 28-Sep-11 09:34:51

A bump for any OTs who may be around this morning!

aftereight Wed 28-Sep-11 11:34:18

Not an OT but just to second what Agent said.
I do know that there are v few OT job vacancies around in the NHS at the moment, but hopefully by the time you qualify this will not be the case.
I have a close relative who did an OT degree in her 40s and half of the students on her course were mature students. Most of the work is one to one so you don't need to be very outgoing.

bridgingtheabyss Wed 28-Sep-11 12:46:29

I work alongside OTs and I wouldn't say you have to be an extrovert. As long as you like some interaction with people you'll be fine.

peggotty Wed 28-Sep-11 16:49:42

All really helpful- thanks all smile

Idasonions Wed 28-Sep-11 16:55:15

I may know an OT wink who works for a local authority and carries out Uni interviews for the OT applicants.

I would suggest getting some sort of experience - most are happy for someone to shadow them for a day or 2 to see exactly what the job entails. This also helps the application. OT's work in a wide range of settings. What were you interested in ?

Pm me for any specific questions

peggotty Wed 28-Sep-11 17:55:16

THanks Ida, have pm'd you smile

desperatetosell Thu 29-Sep-11 14:09:46

Hi

I am currently doing an OT course! I am def not an extrovert and TBH not many on the course are.

They were looking for empathy, warmth, communication and interpersonal skills and I would certainly agree in getting some shadowing experience. It will really help! PM me if you like and I can talk you through my interview experiences.

peggotty Thu 29-Sep-11 22:17:02

Desperatetosell, thanks, I have PM'd you.

sneakybeak Wed 05-Oct-11 21:22:03

Here I am again (from employment issues thread)

I think that extrovert isn't the kind of default personality for an OT. I think of being an extrovert as more suited to sales, or drama teaching maybe?

I think being cool in a crisis is a good skill, although it took me years to learn this. I also did take things personally when clients were sometimes rude blunt.

I completely believe in OT, and I can't imagine doing anything else really.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now