Talk

Advanced search

Interview tips for PA role

(4 Posts)
HattieBistro Mon 26-Sep-11 10:06:36

I've got an interview on Wednesday for a PA/Office Manager role. I have managed sizeable departments in the past but have never really done any PA work.

I've been a SAHM for a few years so I feel a bit out of touch and would appreciate some interview tips for this sort of role. What sort of questions can I expect? What should I ask them?

Any advice would be great - I'm getting nervous just thinking about it!

hiddenshallows Tue 27-Sep-11 08:04:29

Hi, I haven't been a PA but used to have one in a previous life! My ideal candidates would be able to demonstrate that they can organise, anticipate and innovate. Obviously business examples are easier for employers to understand however I would look at what you do as a SAHM and the transferable skills that you have; e.g planning activities, juggling everyone's calendar, managing the household budget etc..If you can manage a family you can manage an office! Can you get hold of a copy of the job description? There might be a generic one online.
Re questions to ask my one tip would be don't ask a question that you don't really want to know the answer to ( that is don't ask for the sake of asking) because it will come across. I am always impressed by someone who is interested in their personal development so it might be worth thinking of something about the opportunities that exist within the company.
Good Luck on Weds

planetpotty Tue 27-Sep-11 14:25:36

I have been a PA and loved it. I would say the above advice is very good smile

If I was going for another PA job I would firstly want to show that I was personable as you are going to work very closely with your boss but also show I was able to remain prefessional when situations require it. I would make sure whatever I took with me was super duper organised in a nice leather folder of some sort. Be at least ten mins early for the interview - obv.

Within my PA role I was surprised at how much I would have to give out orders from the boss to his subordanates and at the reaction that would get, so it may not come up at all, but it may be a good one to have thought about just in case.

I really would not be affraid to let your personallity shine through. As a PA they need to trust you and if someone picks up that you are putting on a show for the interview it could put them off.

I dont know if any of this is helpfull - hope I dont sound patronising blush.

Go for it - PA is a brilliant job I would love to do it again smile

HattieBistro Tue 27-Sep-11 19:30:56

Thank you for the advice. Your comments have reassured me and I'm a bit calmer now I've done some research.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now