Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Help! Need some Teaching Materials...

(12 Posts)
CDMforever Tue 20-Sep-11 14:38:16

Just got a job tutoring Year 6 children on reading comprehension for next years SATs.

Had a look on amazon, there seems to be sooo much, don't know where to start!!

Any ideas??

BranchingOut Wed 21-Sep-11 16:35:03

Bit puzzled by the post - if you are a teacher don't you know how to go about this?

Begin with some past papers to gauge their level and identify problem areas.

There are definitely quite a few resource books around - maybe you would be better off going to a large Waterstones or similar and looking through them rather than using Amazon.

clutteredup Thu 22-Sep-11 13:05:11

I agree past appers to get an idea if you're not sure about what you're aiming for - reading comprehension is reading practice and practice interpreting texts - I would see what the school has or I usually end up making my own as then you can focus on exactly the specific area you are doing. If really stuck you can probably download stuff free from thre internet but i wouldn't rely on just working through a book.

CDMforever Thu 22-Sep-11 20:23:21

I'm not completely useless......!

I usually teach Reception and this job is for Year 6 chn.

Thanks for the, er, support smile

Went to WHSmith today and bought a few books.

Lucycat Thu 22-Sep-11 20:25:04

Have a look at the TES website as there are lots of resources there and people who can give really good advice. I can imagine the difference from Reception to Yr6 is massive!

dannyblanchflower Thu 22-Sep-11 20:56:28

Quick Fix for Reading Comprehension gives you loads of material to focus on for each individual assessment focus. You won't need much - it's a waste of your time as a professional to watch them write. You need to be modelling how to answer (think KS1 shared writing) and critiquing their previous work (homework?) showing them where they missed marks.

If you're working in a school (is it the onetoone programme?) ask them to load Testbase onto your laptop - it has all the past questions but you call them up according to level or attainment target and it also has model answers for each level to use as models.

Most important thing is to work closely with the class teacher - what has already been identified as an area to work on? No point you spending the first few sessions assessing what is already known!

CDMforever Thu 22-Sep-11 21:14:24

Thanx danny. Have just had a gander at Quick Fix on amazon. Though expensive it looks good and got great reviews.

Will ask first at the school if they have it!

Have used Testbase in the past, should be able to borrow a laptop with it installed.

Think the idea of modelling answers and critiquing their work is definitely the way to go.

Wish me luck!! The pressure is on for them to get Level 4s in their SATs. The children I'll be teaching are all operating around a 3B at the mo.

clutteredup Thu 22-Sep-11 21:15:49

CDM didn't mean to sound unsupportive I usually do make my own resources - if I have a book I'll only use a couple of things from it so I wouldn't spend money on books I try to do as much for free as possible.

clutteredup Thu 22-Sep-11 21:18:54

A lot of kids on one to one have got there by dint of lack of confidence you'll find its lovely as you can get so much done and build their confidence which IME actually goes a long way to upping their levels.
Good luck - its great fun!
And FWIW when I started one to one I didn't know it all either - I do now grin

CDMforever Thu 22-Sep-11 21:21:10

Thats ok cluttered (SOB!).

Guess I'm feeling a bit panicky about this new job. And its been implied that the children I tutor will be assessed each term and if they're not making the correct progress, I'll be out of a job!!

clutteredup Thu 22-Sep-11 21:27:31

It is very hard to make up for all that has gone wrong in the last 7 years in one hourly sessions once a week for a term, but I'm sure it will make a difference and also the results are for the school not for the kids, you will make a difference to them doing one to one- if they don't all get Level 4 it doesn't mean you haven't done a good job it just means the school won't have reached it's target - the only child I couldn't make a big difference to was the one who hardly showed up, never did any homework was rarely at school and I had a fight to go past football talk - but even with him I know i had some effect as he did eventually pick up a few new things and he would not have got them from class with his disengaged attitude- so rate your progress on the evidence you can see from the children not what 'number' they're at.
You'll love it.

CDMforever Thu 22-Sep-11 21:33:46

It is very scary how obsessed schools are becoming with results.

As you say, whatever grade the children end up with I'm sure my time with them will be beneficial in so many other ways.

Improving confidence and self-esteem which in turn obviously impacts on their general behaviour and learning in school.

I just want to start now!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now