Talk

Advanced search

I really want this pre-school job but have no direct experience...can anyone help??

(3 Posts)
IAmOptimusPrime Tue 20-Sep-11 11:27:27

I am applying for a part time position in a pre-school. It is for an unqualified position and I know if they give me a chance I can do it. I've been out of work for 5 yrs now.

But all of my previous employment has been in admin and the arts.

I am a really creative person and have experience in rasing 2 boys, have been on another pre-school committee but have never worked with children directly or in a pre-school.

I really, really want this job!! Can anyone help on how to get my foot in the door? Just trying to get my cv together and a covering letter.

MegGriffin Tue 20-Sep-11 22:08:01

Hello IAm. Your experience on the committee will show you have some idea of how a pre-school is run. You have two children so you do have experience. Show willing, be keen and friendly. Say you are willing to train and go on any courses that will help you do your job well.

Child protection is a hot topic always so make sure you are aware of the procedures as they will probably ask you scenario questions at interview.
Being creative is a really good skill as this is something you would use daily both on an arts and crafts level and also thinking on your feet eg - what can we use to make a spaceship? How can we turn this corner in to a pirate ship etc..
I started off working in a pre-school with minimal experience 5 1/2 years ago and I am now qualified and deputy supervisor there so it is possible. Good luck.

birchykel Thu 22-Sep-11 19:34:36

Hey dont worry too much, if the pre school is like the one I work for they will be willing to give u a chance, as said above u have children so lots of experience and being on the committee is good also. The pre school I work for let me volunteer, then put me thru courses I have been there 5 yrs now and am a level 3 and supervisor there now. So u can do it, be honest about how much u would like this. Goodluck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now