Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Teachers - were you paid for KIT time?

(11 Posts)
reastie Mon 19-Sep-11 13:38:35

I'm returning to my teaching job properly in Dec but work are starting to pester ask me if I can come in to find out about various timetable changes so that my SoW etc will be sorted and to make the transition back to school as easy and stress free as possible. It's also been a long time since I will have worked (was signed off at 5 weeks pg onwards due to pg issues) (prob when I go back it will be over a year and a half). It's not as though they are forcing me back, it's more a if I can manage it it might be useful type of thing. It's more paperworky stuff than teaching too.

I assumed this would be unpaid as it's for my benefit for prep for returning purposes but when i told dh my assumption he shock and said if I'm doing work during mat leave then it should be paid. Can any teachers give me any advice as to what to expect? I work in a private school if that makes a difference. I just don't want to seem rude by asking for money if it's not to be expected iykwim

reastie Mon 19-Sep-11 16:28:19

maybe all the teachers are too busy at school to answer me hmm

acatcalledfelix Mon 19-Sep-11 16:41:25

I'm not a teacher, but as far as I'm aware KIT days are paid.

something about it here

reastie Mon 19-Sep-11 19:00:03

thanks felix that certainly makes it look like I should get paid but it's my head of dept asking me about coming back not the head, so I'm not sure if this means I won't get official KIT days which will be paid IYKWIM

hairylights Tue 20-Sep-11 09:39:01

I believe it's up to the employer whether they pay in addition to smp. They can't make you do KIT days though.

hairylights Tue 20-Sep-11 09:43:07

It's up to the employer whether they pay in addition to smp. They can't make you do KIT days though.

Have a look at page 12 of this link

reastie Tue 20-Sep-11 13:35:15

thanks hairy I was just wondering if any teachers specifically had any experience on if they got paid, as teaching is one of those jobs where alot if expected of you without extra pay hmm

hairylights Tue 20-Sep-11 14:55:11

Oh! Sorry if that wasn't helpful. I'd noticed that your post was unanswered.

I was coming from the standpoint that the legalities of kit days are the same for all employers, including LAs. So it will depend entirely on the LA you work for.

reastie Tue 20-Sep-11 14:57:05

sorry blush i didn't want to come across as rude there - i blame it on my dd for being so demanding so i never have time to think how i write things any more confused .

hairylights Tue 20-Sep-11 14:58:44

Not at all grin

thelizard Wed 21-Sep-11 13:26:03

I did KIT days one a week for most of theterm before I returned to work, paid at supply rates. I was actually teaching though, not sure my head would have paid me to do paperwork... Worth asking though?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now