Talk

Advanced search

Any writers out there?

(6 Posts)
schroedingersdodo Thu 15-Sep-11 16:45:24

Is there anyone here who makes a living out of writing? I mean scripts, plays, novels, short stories.

I'm a soon-to-be-ex-journalist and want to write fiction, but not as hobby. I've heard of people who make a decent living writing radio plays, short stories, TV scripts, etc. That's the sort of thing I want to do, but I don't know where to start.

I have a 16 month DS and want something I can do around children (as I expect to have more children in the future). I've been a journalist for 10 years, working on TV, magazines, etc etc, and have been working as a science journalist for the last 5 years. But I don't think there's much future for me in this area (horrible pay, among other reasons). If I can't make it as a writer I'll end up having to work as a press officer...

I'll be very thankful for any tips, suggestions, links, etc.

bridgingtheabyss Thu 15-Sep-11 18:06:42

Have a read of the Writers and Artists Yearbook, that will give you an idea.

matana Thu 15-Sep-11 20:11:26

Nowt wrong wi' being a press officer.... i was one. Started as a trade journo but left because the money was rubbish. I began work as a press officer in the public sector which was really good (not the same as a private sector press office work at all) and have widened my horizons over the years. Currently work FT as a comms manager with with a DS (10 months) but work from home 2 days per week which is great.

Having said all of this my DH and i are thinking of moving to France in a couple of years because he can get a transfer over there and we'll have a fair bit of equity in our house by then. If we did that the idea is that he will work FT and i'll write - either freelance journalism or have a go at writing a novel.

I'm currently writing a novel in between work and spending family time together. No tips as such, just have confidence and go for it.

schroedingersdodo Thu 15-Sep-11 22:52:58

Thanks for the comments!

Bridging, I've bought the Yearbook, but it is more of a list of theatres that accept plays, publishers and agents addresses. There's no indication of how easy/hard it is to break into any of those markets, or recommendations. It is useful, no doubt, but not exactly what I'm after.

Matana, there's absolutely nothing wrong with being a press officer, it's just that I don't like doing it very much. And I don't think I'm very good at that (it's a different set of skills...) And re your novel, you must be excited! Have you started writing it?

bridgingtheabyss Fri 16-Sep-11 18:31:48

Sorry dodo, I've not got round to reading the copy sitting on my shelf yet blush

DP sometimes buys writing magazines and they often have articles about up-and-coming markets. He particularly likes Writers Forum.

schroedingersdodo Fri 16-Sep-11 20:22:10

Hi Bridging, I'll take a look at the writers forum, thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now