Talk

Advanced search

preparing for going back to work

(10 Posts)
fireflyz Mon 12-Sep-11 20:47:04

DS is 10 mo, and will be a year when he starts with the childminder for 2 days a week.

I'm nervous because

- I currently just follow what DS wants, when he wants it, re naps, feeds etc, he has a bit of a routine but it can vary - e.g. morning nap any time between 9.30 and 10.30 at the moment; mid morning feed at 10 or 11 or 11.30; afternoon nap at 1.30 or 2 or 2.30 - and I just go along with it.

- I am still having to rock / sway him to sleep & the childminder has openly admitted she may not be able to do this. (the nurseries I went to see said they would rock him to sleep, but I don't see how they can do it either as they also have other children to care for)

- I don't know how we're going to manage the mornings, I said I'd be at the CMs for 8.30 but at the moment, DS is still sometimes having his breakfast at that time. I just let him wake of his own accord in the morning (usually at the moment this is at about 7.30am, so then it's milk at 7.45 and breakfast roughly 45 mins later).

OH will have to leave the house at 6.30am in order to get to work using public transport on the days I take DS to the CM in the car, so there'll be barely any time for me to get to the loo! (not that we're a stranger to that as OH leaves very early at the moment too!)

- CM does school run on the days DS will be there so his naps will likely be disturbed. Perhaps he'll just cat-nap in the buggy on the way to the other kids school.

I've thought of a few things I can do - e.g. I'll put out clothes and everything for breakfast the night before.
Shower myself the night before.
I'll have to actually wake DS up by a certain time if not awake already.
Put DS in playpen / cot to play in between feed and breakfast so I can get dressed.
Have some spare clothes to change into at work in case of baby sick-ups on the way to CMs.

As for the other issues around routine, well I suppose it is only 2 days a week, so maybe won't be too bad - although I have a feeling the evenings on those days may not be so nice if DS is overtired...

Maybe it's worse in a way that it's only 2 days as DS then doesn't really get into a routine with the CM either... but I can't stand the thought of not spending time with him as it is, so 2 days it is to start with anyway.

I'm sure others on here will have gone through this - all advice welcome.

MrsJamin Tue 13-Sep-11 07:09:51

To be honest, I think you're worrying too much, especially as it's only for 2 days a week. Most babies transition to 1 nap around 12-15 months anyway so you might find DS will nap on the school run for 10 mins then keep going til after lunch and then sleep until the afternoon school run. Also children can need very different sleep cues in different contexts. I would suggest being rocked to sleep is probably something that he needs to get out of anyway.
He'll be fine and so will you smile

An0therName Tue 13-Sep-11 11:18:08

Hi do some trial runs before you start back at work -that will help you both

Snoopy99 Wed 14-Sep-11 15:07:48

I think if you re-read your post, you'll know what you need to do. You realise that life cannot carry on being organised around the baby, that's just not how life is when you get past the maternity leave part. It's surprising how quickly babies break habits and form new ones. And if DS cries a bit at first, don't take it to heart, at 10 months they're just starting to assert themselves but it doesn't mean you have to do everything they want! Perhaps you're a bit more worried about going back to work than you realise and stressing about the baby is a way to legitimise that. You'll soon be in a routine and back in the swing of it.

reastie Wed 14-Sep-11 16:05:32

nothing to add but reading with interest as lots of your worries are the same as mine

HappyAsASandboy Wed 14-Sep-11 16:26:42

Just a comment about waking him up and them later having to stuck him in playpen while you get ready ....

I'm going back soon, and I plan to get myself up at 6 and get ready, but put dressing gown on (over tights etc), then wake babies (twins!) at 6.15, dress them and breakfast for everyone, then be out of the door by 6.45, switching dressing gown for work dress (or other 'top layer' of clothes!). Phew!

Pretty sure it'll work tho, as long as my clothes and theirs are laid out night before, shower night before, breakfast ready to go and nursery bags packed etc.

Good luck

fireflyz Thu 15-Sep-11 21:13:42

Thank you all - really useful replies.

I would love to get DS out of rocking to sleep, have written a post on this in the Sleep forum - it's doing my back in!

As for getting organised the night before, it feels like a palaver, but I know deep down that it's the only way. Reminds me of how my mum used to tell me to get everything ready for school the night before (although I never did as I was a little minx!)

Aaah it's tough this business of being a super-organised working mum smile

May the force be with us all! xx

anniemac Fri 16-Sep-11 10:50:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

anniemac Fri 16-Sep-11 10:52:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

RhinestoneCowgirl Fri 16-Sep-11 11:01:15

I went back to work 2 days a week when DS was 11 months old, he was used to bf on demand, didn't really settle to sleep on his own - the works!

He was absolutely fine at the CM (and used to go on school runs too). I found that his naps were a bit erratic, CM would cuddle him to sleep when she could, sometimes he would sleep in his buggy or in the car. TBH that's what my DC2's routine has been like anyway, as she has to fit in round her older brother's day. I did find on the days I was at home with him he would often have mammoth afternoon naps (3hrs!) to catch up on sleep, and I used to use the time to MN do housework. wink

Babies are pretty good at adapting to different routines with different carers. Not saying there wasn't any crying tho... (on both sides). Hope you soon get back into the swing, 2 days a week is great!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now