Talk

Advanced search

Advice appreciated from fitness instructors or gym/studio managers.

(6 Posts)
Olifin Mon 12-Sep-11 18:27:31

Am hoping someone will know a bit about this and might be able to offer some advice. I am a Secondary English teacher but after a long childcare break, I really don't want to teach any more.

I'd like to work P/T hours, actual earnings are not that important. What's more important to me is doing a job that I can enjoy and that will allow me to have some work-life balance.

I am considering training as a fitness instructor (as in, teaching group classes rather than being a personal trainer or gym instructor). I love fitness and dance and particularly enjoy some of the Les Mills classes (Body Combat and Body Pump in particular).

As I understand it, I would need to take a qualification in teaching Exercise to Music and then more specific courses if I want to teach Les Mills classes.

If anyone here does something similar or has some experience of it, I'd love to know:

-Which companies offer the best training courses, in your opinion?
-Are most fitness instructors self-employed? How and where do gyms typically recruit instructors?
-What could I expect to earn per class?
-Would I be most likely to be working evenings/weekends or are there enough opportunities for teaching daytime classes?
-What are the most and least enjoyable aspects of the job?

I have been a member of my local council gym for 4 years and attend a lot of classes. Would it be a good idea to try and get pally with them even before I do the course in the hope of some employment there?!

Very many thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions you may have.

mckenzie Wed 14-Sep-11 21:03:49

If I remember correctly Olifin from my days of doing YMCA Personal Trainer qualifications, you need to do the Fitness Instructor level 2 first and then do the Exercise to Music afterwards. I could well be wrong but the YMCA website will tell you.
I asked around and chose YMCA based on the views of the PTs that I respected and admired.

Our local gym has lots of classes running during the day. I think the amount of work your get will be purely based on how good you are smile. Most of the class teachers are self employed as far as I am aware and work at different gyms in the area.

Re level of pay, why don't you speak to one of the instructors whose class you go to and enjoy?

Good luck

AnnaEngland1 Thu 15-Sep-11 08:05:40

Message deleted by Mumsnet.

Olifin Thu 15-Sep-11 09:25:43

Thanks very much mckenzie, that's really helpful. I was thinking of speaking to one of the instructors to get their view. The ones I know also seem to work at several different gyms in the area.

Would love to know what Anna that was so contentious!

AnnaEngland1 Thu 15-Sep-11 11:11:58

Oh no! It was nothing contentious - I put my phone number in my message which might have been against the guidelines....I'm going to read them now!

Olifin Thu 15-Sep-11 14:30:08

Oooooooh...I see!

Well thank you for replying. Maybe you could send it again via PM if they won't let you post it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now