Talk

Advanced search

I've been out of work for almost four years and no one calls me for an interview after months of looking for a job

(12 Posts)
asianmum Mon 12-Sep-11 14:45:33

I just joined this site and I don't know where to start. Forgive me if I'm a bit confusing.

I've been looking for a job since January this year but no one ever calls me for an interview except for two recruitment agencies (just for registration and didnt call me again). I am looking for all sorts of jobs part time, full time, contractual and even volunteering.

Is it really this hard to look for a job after having a career break due to choosing to be a SAHM? I am an accountant in profession but I gained my qualifications from other country and that might be one of the factors why I can't get a job. I am even applying for lower level positions though I was quite senior in my last job.

Why I want to go back to work is not fully due to financial reasons. My husband is earning quite well. His salary is just enough. But there's something missing, I feel depressed at times and I seemed to have a very low self esteem at the moment. I often feel that I am useless and wasted because I don't have a career like my former colleagues and classmates. I know it's wrong to feel this way but after so many years of studying, I'm stuck in the house doing the same thing almost everyday. I can't see any fulfillment sometimes though I love my kids so much.

My youngest son is already 18 months old and its probably ok for me to look for a job, right? Another thing is I am not really that sociable and we just moved house so I really feel lonely at the moment. I think a job will help me be myself again. I'll be happier and be a better mum if I'll develop that self confidence again.

annh Mon 12-Sep-11 16:01:53

Are your qualifications recognised in this country? Or is there a conversion course which you could do so that they are recognised? It is very difficult to find a job now so it's not just you who is struggling. If you are not working purely for financial reasons, could you do some volunteer work which relates to an area in which you wish to work?

nelliesue Mon 12-Sep-11 16:18:37

I've been looking for a similar time but have managed a few interviews and got quite close.

I'm assuming you worked in this country before so your qualifications must be OK.

I wonder if you are setting your sights too high. You say "I am even applying for lower level positions though I was quite senior in my last job..." I'm afraid there are a lot of people out there looking for work, including a lot of accountants, and after four years an employer is not going to want to put you straight back in where you left off. Personally, all the roles I have applied for have been more junior and I am even going for things around half my last salary. Like you, we can manage on one salary but I feel I really need to get back to work again so that I can be me.

Smadarama Mon 12-Sep-11 16:30:31

Re: volunteering. Have you looked into going onto a board? People with finance experience are much sought after as Trustees and often Charities often find the treasurer role hardest to fill. Look on www.do-it.org.uk. It could really help your confidence, would be good for your cv and you'd be doing something positive.

asianmum Tue 13-Sep-11 07:15:05

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I must admit it does help to know that I'm not the only who is in this kind of situation.

My qualifications is not recognized in this country I'm afraid and had no work experience in the UK but I'm studying towards a similar qualifications. I skipped one level because they've given me exemptions. To finish said qualifications will probably take me up to four years.

I'll be happy to do some volunteer work, I agree with Smadarama that I need it to boost my confidence level.

Any idea what website I can visit to help me improve my cv?

MimieD Tue 13-Sep-11 10:45:38

Hi, I started looking for work again 3 months ago after 3 years at home. I've 10 years work experience in banking in the UK but haven't had any interviews either. There are just so many people looking at the moment! I found Corinne Mills' You're Hired: CV useful for changing my CV. However I think the only way to get a paid job is to do some volunteer work first. You need to show the recruiters you are back in work mode already....unfortunately I can't afford to do volunteer work away from home as we cannot afford nursery without a second income...
If you're in the London area you may want to check ou Women Like Us. They are a recruitment agency a d also do workshops on CV writing, interview techniques etc.

An0therName Tue 13-Sep-11 11:15:41

What about recruitment agents - are you registered with any? some of those may look at your CV
killer CVs is another good book
but if you have no UK work experience, and no UK registered qualifications, and a career break it is going to be tricky -
the other volutary work you might consider is CAB - they are always looking for advice workers - especailly to do with money

asianmum Wed 14-Sep-11 12:58:27

Does working as a charity shop retail assistant do me any good in looking for the right job?

An0therName Wed 14-Sep-11 21:02:29

I would say its better than nothing - and it would get you doing something - but with your background there could be other roles - as suggested above - which might be more useful

Sumera Wed 14-Sep-11 21:55:36

Hi asianmum when i ve read your first message from top to bottom, i couldn't belive that somebody is having exactly the same problem as i have. I ve done some work in uk before taking a career break and i completly agree with the smadarama's advice.
Mine first qualification was from overseas as well so when i applied afor Acca i got exemptions as well, i ve also done some exams but to be honest it is quite expensive so i left it for a while. During this time i ve done some voluntry work in local primary schools and secondary school as well helping students with maths. Which has helped me to understand the teaching system and school envoirnment. I have left that but now i am doing private tuitions on weekend or in the evenings.
Now i am thinking to apply for volunteer work in private accountancys, i ve sent my Cv to few of them but haven't received any response yet.
I know how do you feel lonely, frustrated and exhausted, all days are same, everyday looking for a reason to push the memories back and lift yourself up. But don't worry you are not alone.

asianmum Thu 15-Sep-11 08:31:03

I've applied as a volunteer office assistant as well and I'm waiting for the results. Sumera I wonder how you applied as a volunteer in schools. Did you just submit your cv to them even if they didn't advertise? Its nice to know that you're doing tutoring at the moment at least you got something in your hands. Can I just submit my cv to the local accounting firms and ask them if they got a job for me even if its voluntary and they dont have to pay me?

I must admit I miss dressing up in the mornings and wearing nice office clothes. I also like meeting new people and making friends in the workplace because I'm not that sociable and its hard for me to make friends just like that.

AnnaEngland1 Thu 15-Sep-11 08:49:44

Message deleted by Mumsnet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now