Talk

Advanced search

Any secondary teachers out there with a psychology degree?

(8 Posts)
PrinceRogersNelson Mon 12-Sep-11 12:23:00

Hello,
After being a SAHM for 5 years I am looking to go back to work. I have a degree in psychology and had thought I may be able to teach RE at secondary level. I would LOVE to do this and it is the teaching of RE that has made me want to teach. However I am now doubting I will be able to having spoken to my local University as they want a degree in RE.

If you have a psychology degree and teach at secondary, what do you teach and how did you get in to it?
Feel so gutted that my degree was so pointless to me.
Thanks.

betterwhenthesunshines Tue 13-Sep-11 20:09:46

I have a friend who has a philosophy degree and was thinking of teaching. She has had to do a 2 year OU course in a school specific subject (English in her case) so that she has the relevant knowledge as her degree was 'not relevant'.

Funnily enough I was thinking of retraining and doing a psychology degree - shame it's not possible to swap! However I have realised it's simply too costly with no direct line of work at the end so I can't really justify the cost. sad

PrinceRogersNelson Tue 13-Sep-11 23:09:51

She could have taught RE with that degree! I am really struggling with where to go for advice tbh.
Thanks for replying though. I had wondered about OU.

leicestershiregirl Wed 14-Sep-11 08:38:25

With psychology you'd be able to do a Social Sciences PGCE and qualify to teach Psychology, Sociology and Health and Social Care. Not all universities that do teacher training offer this though. There is also primary school teaching of course.

PrinceRogersNelson Wed 14-Sep-11 14:35:23

I am concerned about the lack of teaching jobs for Social Sciences. It would suit me in many ways, as I also have an A Level in Sociology. I am concerned about not being able to teach in a Secondary School and being in a 6th form place instead which is not really what I want.

leicestershiregirl Wed 14-Sep-11 22:28:45

If you do decide to do OU you should sign up soon - after September next year their fees are going to triple (as you may know, theirs is a rolling programme with start dates throughout the year).

TheFallenMadonna Wed 14-Sep-11 22:32:47

Our head of RE has a degree in Psychology, trained in RE and teaches both. I have degrees in Biochemistry and Psychology, trained in Science but teach both Science and Psych.

TheFallenMadonna Wed 14-Sep-11 22:34:05

If you want to teach in a school, then another subject will be useful, as there generally isn't enough Psych teaching to fill a timetable. There is Health and Social Care of course, of that interested you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now