Talk

Advanced search

any teachers out there dreading next week?

(17 Posts)
conistonoldwoman Fri 02-Sep-11 20:31:51

After 20 plus years in the profession I have become increasingly depressed about returning to work. I like getting on with my job in the classroom but have no time for unnecessary box ticking, waffle that goes on at meetings, performance management speak etc etc.
Having lost my dad last february, and my 6 year old dd's friend took her own life during the summer holiday, I feel more than ever that everything we do must be purposeful and so much of what we are asked to do in education has no value or purpose at all.
I am dreading how i will be able to function next week and in the weeks beyond, without snapping at my colleagues or showing impatience with fussy parents.
Any words of comfort and reassurance please!!

BranchingOut Fri 02-Sep-11 21:58:00

Sorry, not much comfort, but another burnt out teacher here too...!

Maybe if you still like your classroom job then just try to tune out the rest?

conistonoldwoman Fri 02-Sep-11 22:29:05

Yes..know what you mean. Will try to tune out the rubbish to maintain my sanity!

lollymom Sat 03-Sep-11 19:33:09

You are not alone! Someone I work with posted on fb that it is 35 working days until half term. That provided me with comfort, anyway!

conistonoldwoman Sat 03-Sep-11 21:26:24

That's one way of looking at it..probably even less for me as we get 2 weeks at half term.
Really crappy conditions at our place due to falling numbers..no pay rise for 2 years, staff forced to move 2 points down the salary scale, further reduced hours for part time staff. Feel my goodwill has been exhausted.

SpringFlowers Sun 04-Sep-11 19:36:37

Why don't you think about moving school? It might give you a new lease of life and enthusiasm.

cloudyskies Sun 04-Sep-11 20:02:13

I feel the same. I couldn't sleep last night from worrying about it all. Then I get annoyed with myself for letting it bother me so much. I know I can teach, but you the stuff you have to do that doesn't seem to benefit anybody (especially the children), completely depresses me...

conistonoldwoman Mon 05-Sep-11 12:34:20

Would love to move SF, but times are tough for anyone wanting a job. will continue to look though, although that still wouldn't be an escape from the pointless paperwork.

PercyPigPie Tue 06-Sep-11 23:22:24

I'm not surprised you are feeling low OP. Was your daughter's 6 year old friend also 6 - or was that a mis-type?

PercyPigPie Tue 06-Sep-11 23:23:39

Sorry, even typing that seems ludicrous - a 6 year old wouldn't even comprehend that that was possible. I really feel for you though sad and hate to think that my children's teachers are also facing such box-ticking etc.

noonar Wed 07-Sep-11 11:05:51

oh you poor thing, what a tough time you have had. felt like this for 2 years myself.

I have been teaching nearly as long as you and after a particularly challenging year (lots of study, moving to a new town, new schools for dc) i decided to leave my job in July. I am giving myself a term off, with a possible change in career direction in January. but you know what? i'm not enjoying this week so far. i feel really disorienatated and restless and unable to enjoy being off. i do feel some relief about not doing the back to school thing with a new class, but am finding leaving to be a very bitter sweet thing so far....

i feel a bit lost, but just know that i dont have the energy to be a class teacher at the moment.

noonar Wed 07-Sep-11 11:09:22

sorry OP, didnt mean to hijack.

hope your week is going well smile

conistonoldwoman Wed 07-Sep-11 21:10:13

yes..myDD's friend is also 6.
Thanks noonar. Couldn't manage work today. Five minutes from home I had a panic attack. Have got an appointment to sort out some counselling.
I aim to try again next week, don't want to leave it too long as I think it just might become even harder.
I can appreciate how you are feeling lost. How have you planned to fill your time whilst you are off? I am lucky enough to work part time and am thinking about doing some voluntary work on my day off to give me another perspective.

noonar Thu 08-Sep-11 14:38:40

oh coniston, i'm so sorry. i have a daughter that age ....but i can only imagine the shock and distress to her poor family and friends.

could you think about doing doing something other than class teaching? if things have really got to the point of no return? (in terms of your energy/ resiliance-sp?)

i am considering applying for learning mentor jobs. that way you get the rewards of helping needy children but without the stress of all that planning/ assessment etc.

for me, this would mean a pay cut of about 30% which fortunately we could manage.

if you feel this strongly, then i think you need to think about taking a bit of a career diversion to lessen the stress.

i am finishing a diploma in SpLd this term- one reason why i left was to finish my studies and do a bit of voluntary work to help my transition into SEN roles.

as you can see (compared to yesterday's post!) am feeling a bit more positive today myself, and i am a bit confused about but also wanted to give you a bit more detail about how i've planned my escape route from class teaching.

you have to put yourself first, at the end of the day. if its that bad, could you possibly afford to do something else a little less well paid, and leave at xmas?

by the way, i was also part time, but studied/ planned on days off and still managed to find working 0.6 utterly overwhelming (as i had to change key stage in my last year as well as study!)

remember what i said... put yourself first. smile

good luck to you x

conistonoldwoman Thu 08-Sep-11 16:49:07

Your plans sound really interesting and it's good you can afford the reduced salary. Money is what it all comes down to..I would love a job that I don't have to take home with me but at the moment we need the money. Hence that feeling of being trapped.
Good luck with your course and the change in career.

conistonoldwoman Thu 08-Sep-11 16:54:37

Just noticed my huge mistake in first post. It was the girl's mum who took her own life. She leaves behind her husband and 2 DD's, 6 and 3.

PercyPigPie Fri 09-Sep-11 21:04:55

You need to put yourself first Coniston. I'm glad you are going to see a counsellor - hopefully that will be helpful.

Noonar - don't go back to work - I need you to give me waterproof coat advice on the other thread grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now