Talk

Advanced search

CV - been SAHM for 8 years, what do i do about references?

(8 Posts)
vnmum Tue 30-Aug-11 18:49:04

Hi, I have seen a job i would really like to apply for. I believe that my career before I had children would put me in a good position for this job.

The only thing is, is that I have been a SAHM for the past 8 years. The first 2 years I wasn't strictly a SAHM because i travelled abroad to support my husband who is in the forces. I then got pregnant with DS and DD (2 years apart) and stayed abroad for 3 more years before moving back to the UK. I have been a SAHM since i moved back to the UK in 2008 due to childcare costs and also having to move often.

We are now in an area where DH will stay permanently and we also want to buy a house and settle here permanently so I have decided to start and look for work.

How do I explain the long gap in my work experience on my CV and also what do I do about references? Who do I use? My last employer is no longer trading, my employer before that may not remember me as it was in 2002 when I worked for them. How many references do I need to give? Is it still 1 work related and 1 personal?

I know there are alot of questions but I need to get this CV emailed tonight as the closing date for applications is tomorrow and I only saw the advert today confused

Thanks in anticipation

vnmum Tue 30-Aug-11 19:12:28

lookingforwork Tue 30-Aug-11 19:20:08

Hi do you have any ex-work friends that you're still in contact with as they can give you a reference. The company before will still be able to give you a reference as long as they have an HR department. The only thing the reference needs to give you is:

I confirm that xxxx worked at xxx company for the period of xxx to xxx. They were employed as a xxxx.

Also you dont need to put references on a CV as they can only legally ask you for one once they have offered you the position.

I have always put :
References can be provided upon request.

Good Luck grin

vnmum Tue 30-Aug-11 20:09:26

Thanks for that looking I have found my 2nd to last employer on facebook and messaged him about it. Both my last and 2nd to last employers were franchises of one company so hopefully the HR department will be able to help. I also put References available on request as you suggested.

lookingforwork Wed 31-Aug-11 08:25:26

well fingers crossed for the application xxx

fartmeistergeneral Wed 31-Aug-11 08:28:38

I was in your position and got references from one friend and my husband's friend who are both 'professionals'. I just explained that I would only be able to provide character references because I'd been out the workplace so long with my children (same amount of time as you actually) and my previous employer would be retired - also she hated me so it worked out quite well! That would have been a horrific reference!

vnmum Fri 02-Sep-11 20:10:09

Thanks, does anyone know how long it usually takes to be contacted after a closing date if they want an interview? I haven't heard anything yet and was thinking if I hadn't heard anything by two weeks then I would presume they didn't want to interview me. Does that sound about right?

lilham Sat 03-Sep-11 07:53:47

If it's a private company, I heard from them basically the same day or next. If it's a public sector job, it can be much longer like 1-2 weeks maybe.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now