Talk

Advanced search

Returning to work full time on Wednesday..HELP

(7 Posts)
Lovestolaugh Fri 26-Aug-11 22:24:40

Hi, this is the first time i've posted on here, I have a DH who works full time and a DS aged 2.5, I have not worked since having him, and have enjoyed being a SAHM. However, my dream job appeared in the local newspaper and I applied not thinking i'd get an interview let alone the job. However, they offered me the job last week and the start date is Wednesday....it all seems to have come about so quickly and now i'm getting cold feet. my parents will be having him two days a week and then he will go to preschool for the other three mornings a week and his key worker from preschool has agreed to be his nanny in our house for the three afternoons a week.....am i mad? financially it makes sense for me to go back to work, and begin a new career. i'm just worried about DS and whether i'm making the right decision......

also how am i ever going to get out of the house in the mornings on time and make sure dinner is cook.... any tips and ideas greatly received please?
thank you

bestfootforwards Fri 26-Aug-11 22:32:51

Just take it one day at a time. That was my dh's advice when the same thing happened to me. Applied for dream job when ds was seven months old and, much to my surprise, I was offerd it. I am so happy in the job and glad I took the risk.

bestfootforwards Fri 26-Aug-11 22:32:52

Just take it one day at a time. That was my dh's advice when the same thing happened to me. Applied for dream job when ds was seven months old and, much to my surprise, I was offerd it. I am so happy in the job and glad I took the risk.

trixymalixy Fri 26-Aug-11 22:34:51

Congratulations! You'll be fine. It will take a while to get used to the new routine, but soon it'll feel like second nature. I worked full time after DD was born and tbh I loved being back at work, much easier than being at home with two kids.

Outsource cleaning and ironing if you can afford to and lay everything out the night before.

stickylittlefingers Sat 27-Aug-11 14:27:02

Well done on getting the job! I'm definitely of the opinion that if you're happy in a job, that's good for your children too. Your DS will get a lot out of pre-school, and it's fantastic you've got his key-worker to be his nanny.

So - don't get too het up about the state of home. Get a cleaner to come in if you can. Amazing how having the house look nice at least once a week makes you feel better! And be canny re food, have easy salady meals, and use your freezer. Could take it turns with DH re getting dinner?

In the mornings, make your morning routine as easy as poss, lay out your clothes etc. Have a routine for DS - of course little ones don't really understand about "hurry up we're late", but anything that makes the morning easier is good! So have his clothes laid out, and anything he does himself like getting his shoes together etc give him lots of praise for. If you're going by car, having a nice car toy or book can be something to look forward to (or a CD, if you can bear it!!). Remember it's not easy juggling it all, so give yourselves a pat on the back every so often too. Too easy to think of yourself as a failure when things go wrong, rather than "go Team Us!" when they go right!!

Of course, come back and moan on MN if/when things go wrong, there's plenty here with lots of experience, good suggestions, or just a shoulder to cry on if necessary!!

Lovestolaugh Mon 29-Aug-11 20:59:46

Thank you ladies,

So, I've done the weekly shop, and managed to organise supper for every night, waiting to hear back from a cleaner (fingers crosses), cried numerous times, talked myself into and out of the job too many times to mention. Held my DS till he went to sleep tonight... am sure i'll be fine once i'm actually at work and we are all in some type of routine! most importantly i've brought a new mug for work and some yummy biscuits to take with me in the hope that i'll make some friends!!!x

grrd Sat 03-Sep-11 18:52:32

Congrats on your new job!

Your childcare arrangement sounds great, and it seems you have it all under control (even when things slip from time to time)

Hope you already made some friends at work ;-)

Go for it girl!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now