Talk

Advanced search

Weekend working/childcare

(12 Posts)
RockChick1984 Thu 25-Aug-11 22:30:34

Hi, not sure if I'm posting this in the correct topic, if not hopefully someone can point me in the right direction! I'm currently on maternity leave, and just starting to think about going back to work and what I am going to put in my flexible working request (am hoping to go back part time). My issue is Saturday's, my dh works every weekend, and where I work expects you to work every other Saturday. I have no idea what we can do about childcare on a Saturday if they still insist on me working the Saturday's, as they usually do with part time staff. What childcare options are there for weekends, and are they significantly more expensive? I'm in a reasonably large town, not a city, no family locally who can help out. If I can't find childcare, what other options do I have? I hope someone can help me, it's really worrying me now!

BikeRunSki Thu 25-Aug-11 22:43:33

No idea about w/e childcare, but as a parent you have a right to put in a flexible working request ie: in your case not to work Saturdays, and your employer has to consider it. I think they can only turn you down if they can show that your request is not a viable business proposal.

Maybe you could join up and job-share with someone who wants to work Saturdays? DH used to work in a shop with a girl who went to uni whilst they were both there. When she did this, he worked Mon-Fri, and she worked Sat-Sun. Everyone was happy.

RockChick1984 Thu 25-Aug-11 22:55:52

I've spoken to a few other staff members who have requested not to work Saturday's but were declined, not sure of the reasons given so I'll have to look into that, thanks.

RobynLou Thu 25-Aug-11 22:58:41

what about your DH requesting to only work every other sat? then you could tag team the saturdays.

RockChick1984 Thu 25-Aug-11 23:12:30

He gets an extra £3k for working weekends, so don't think we can afford for him to drop any of it unfortunately.

Mspontipine Fri 26-Aug-11 01:14:40

Some childminders work weekends and some nurseries open too.

RockChick1984 Fri 26-Aug-11 22:30:32

Is it just a case of ringing round until I find someone / somewhere that does?

Mspontipine Sat 27-Aug-11 00:41:20

For our town the childminders have a website where they all list their details - their may be similar in your area - on ours they list their hours/days available/willing to work etc. Otherwise ask about - do you go to any baby groups as word of mouth/personal recommendations can prove invaluable. At our baby group a couple of childminders used to go so made a few contacts that way too.

Most nurseries have websites too so they'd probably say if they provide weekend care smile

Mspontipine Sat 27-Aug-11 00:41:53

OUch their there !!!

Playingwithbuses Sat 27-Aug-11 00:45:10

What about student nursery nurses looking for experience, they might be keen to do a bit of babysitting/ nannying at the weekend for extra experience. Get in touch with any local colleges that do childcare courses.

Mspontipine Sat 27-Aug-11 00:53:26

Only thing is with that is that op may be hoping to claim childcare tax credits for her childcare - for this need to be Ofsted registered childcare.

Playingwithbuses Sat 27-Aug-11 01:03:49

Thats true, but if no registered care to be found then not having credits for it may be the next option.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now