Talk

Advanced search

Waiting to hear if I've got an interview ... please talk me down

(22 Posts)
FrozenNorthPole Thu 25-Aug-11 21:09:08

Aaargh.
Applied to two academic jobs (one lecturer, one research) - one had a deadline a week ago today, the other this Monday.
Yes, logically I have no reason to expect to have heard from anyone yet, but my irrational side is telling me that the longer I have to wait, the less likely it is that I've got an interview.
Then the catastrophic thinking starts ... normally along the lines of how much better I'd have done in my research and PhD if I hadn't had two children during it, how I can't hope to compete with the Bright Shining Things straight out of their doctorates with twenty publications, no ties and no chance of nursery ringing them about a sick child.

Please hit me (figuratively) around the face with a fish grin

Maybe I can start a cottage industry making something instead, as in a chick-lit novel. Not cupcakes though ... I bloody hate them ...

Buzzybritches Thu 25-Aug-11 21:47:04

I hear Macrame is due a comeback!!
Settle back lady, its only thursday wink

FrozenNorthPole Thu 25-Aug-11 22:42:50

<googles Macrame>

Thank you Buzzy ... smile

Buzzybritches Thu 25-Aug-11 22:58:29

Lol i knew i was showing my age with the Macrame thing! It was my mother who did it honest.... bloody hanging plant holders!

chutneypig Fri 26-Aug-11 06:18:05

Jams and chutney, very cottage industry. I'm not sure anyone would buy mine mind.....

I'm in the same position and have been for a while. I just wanted to warn/reassure (depending on your frame of mind and I know mine changes by the second), my current record for waiting to hear for lectureships is 2 months. I didn't get shortlisted but a friend did, and he took that long to hear too. It's the volume of applications.

I hate the whole up and down thing, you put your all into the application and feel positive, imagine yourself doing the job, then the doubts creep in. And repeat.

But hopefully you'll hear positively soon, especially if they want to move things forward before the year starts.

FrozenNorthPole Fri 26-Aug-11 08:31:16

Macrame looks kind of fun, I think. And I'm going to make some jam this weekend with our glut of blackberries so perhaps I'm on the way to a cottage industry already.

Chutneypig - thanks for the reassurance! The lectureship is a really long shot, and I don't expect to get shortlisted, but have just been reading the university's website and it appears they only tell people if they've invited them for interview. Which leaves everyone else in the dark ... and presumably still feeling slightly but decreasingly hopeful. Ugh. At least with the research post I know I'll be told one way or another.

Right, back to checking my email obsessively writing this paper!

chutneypig Fri 26-Aug-11 18:05:49

You never know what they're looking for, you might fit the bill perfectly. I've found even if they don't let non-shortlisted people know by email, you might find the outcome in the account section if you've applied online.

Hope the paper's going well.

SenSationsMad Fri 26-Aug-11 18:47:35

Me too! Closing date was a week ago and I still haven't heard anything.

I absolutly think it was the wrong time to send in an application with my qualifications, just as GCSE results are out! ( makes mine look really bad)
No news is good news! [living in hope emotion]

Tiggles Mon 29-Aug-11 19:52:29

I applied to a job at a uni, had just decided I hadn't made it to the interview stage when a week or so later I finally got a letter that had an interview. I think unis are just very slow (especially at this time of year as almost everybody is off on holiday - I got the job and now a month on have only just got a contract). Good luck!

FrozenNorthPole Tue 30-Aug-11 11:29:17

Littlemiss - congratulations!

No e-mails this morning. <Frets>

The jam is delicious though ...

FrozenNorthPole Fri 02-Sep-11 21:54:05

No e-mails yet ... fingers crossed for next week.

Nearly eaten all the jam.

Tiggles Fri 02-Sep-11 22:14:16

Argh! Still got my fingers crossed for you. As I say it was about 3 weeks before my academic institution bothered to reply...

FrozenNorthPole Tue 06-Sep-11 12:30:32

Thanks Littlemiss ... still waiting here! Feeling more and more philosophical about the entire thing as time goes on, which I suppose is a good thing. grin

StealthPolarBear Tue 06-Sep-11 12:32:17

FN I have been applying for loads of jobs recenlty and for every sngle one I had goven up hope before I heard back that I had an interview confused. Think it's holiday time - people are slow

StealthPolarBear Tue 06-Sep-11 12:32:35

good luck btw

PhylisStein Tue 06-Sep-11 12:32:43

Just applied for my first proper job for eight years - didn't get any reply for three weeks - then the said no thanks sad

FrozenNorthPole Tue 20-Sep-11 22:04:34

Stealth - how's your job hunt going now?
Phylis - ugh, sorry to hear that sad

Well, I heard back about the lectureship and was not offered an interview - I found out last week. Today I heard back about the research post, and have been offered an interview. All in all it took over four weeks to find out about each vacancy. Fingers crossed for the interview now - I'd completely lost hope so it was a bit of a surprise to hear that I was still in with a chance.

chutneypig Wed 21-Sep-11 17:19:20

Best of luck with the research post, Frozen.

Sorry to hear that Phylis - it's very disspiriting. Are you finding a lot to apply for? I've found it not so bad when there's a few things on the go. It's horrible when there's just the one post and you wait so long and it's negative.

Tiggles Wed 28-Sep-11 22:04:32

Good luck FNP! Guess you might have had the interview by now but keeping fingers crossed for you anyway.

Hope you find something else Phylis.

FrozenNorthPole Mon 03-Oct-11 19:13:56

Well, I had the interview last Friday but will find out whether I got the job tomorrow, so I very much appreciate any and all crossed fingers! I don't think the interview went well enough for me to be offered the job, which is really disappointing, but I can't help having a tiny little bit of hope anyhow - just in case smile

FrozenNorthPole Mon 03-Oct-11 19:14:36

(Am applying for a different job right now anyhow; I'm just going to keep the applications rolling until something comes up. I hope something comes up eventually!

Tiggles Thu 06-Oct-11 20:32:58

Guessing you have found out by now, hope all is well smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now