Advanced search

Childcare vouchers

(5 Posts)
kd73 Wed 24-Aug-11 21:28:13

Very confused: - I am currently on maternity leave. My employer has been paying me 50% of my normal salary or SMP whichever is the greater. These figures are very close so I am not sure if SMP or 50% salary.

It would appear they have been deducting my childcare costs from this, is this right? confused

kd73 Wed 24-Aug-11 21:29:07

Also I am being made redundant, so will not be returning to the business. Therefore are they entitled to recover any CC costs from my redundancy package?

kd73 Wed 24-Aug-11 21:34:01


gemsparkle Wed 24-Aug-11 22:37:24

I'm certainly not an expert on this but I work for the NHS and was told to withdraw from the childcare voucher scheme before the 12th week of pregnancy or it would affect my maternity benefits. Never really understood why but followed their advice! Did you get any information when you joined the scheme?
I'm really sorry but I don't know anything about redundancy so can't comment on that but I do think you should contact your employer or HR dept to see what is going on! Good luck, hope you get it sorted out soon.

Grevling Thu 25-Aug-11 00:40:12

They cannot make deductions from SMP. So they need to provide for the childcare vouchers out of their own pocket.

If your getting enhanced maternity pay (greater than £128.77 a week) then they can deduct from this down to a level of SMP (£128.77) but not below this.

They can't deduct childcare from redundancy if only giving stat minimums. If they are giving you enhanced then how they work it out is up to them unless tere is a pre existing contract/agreement etc.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: