Talk

Advanced search

can I afford to take the job if offered it?

(8 Posts)
yesnomaybe Tue 23-Aug-11 22:18:12

Hello, I was hoping for some advice....I went for an interview today, I've been at home with my kids for the past 3years and an ex colleague has come up with a fantastic job opportunity which is hard to pass up if offered.

Problem is this: it will take me 1.5hrs to get there and same back everyday and I have no family to help. Kids are 5 and 2 so one in school. Childminder would be cheapest option but don't think they take the kids up til 7pm which is when I'd get back (long day for them at some else's house too). At the interview, I did not ask for enough money to cover a nanny.

Should I email the company and ask for reduced hours so I can accommodate the travel? I realise I should have brought this up during the interview but the length of the journey only really occurred to me on the way home!
They need my experience, they were keen but they are already a bit put off by my insistence on 3 days.

Should I wait to see if they offer me the job first and then make such demands?
Really want the job, happy to make no money, but can't lose money on it!
Arrrghhhh!!! Why can't this be easy?!?!

thanks!

bestfootforwards Tue 23-Aug-11 22:24:50

I would wait and see if you are offered the job first.
Could you do four shorter days? Or negotiate some working from home?

bestfootforwards Tue 23-Aug-11 22:24:50

I would wait and see if you are offered the job first.
Could you do four shorter days? Or negotiate some working from home?

yesnomaybe Tue 23-Aug-11 22:36:08

thanks bestfootforwards, I think I will wait.

nelliesue Wed 24-Aug-11 12:54:15

I turned down a job for exactly the same reason earlier this week... and I am gutted.

I can't offer advice on your specific situation but all I can say is that ever since I turned down my "perfect" job I have been wanting to turn back the clock and try and make it work somehow...

Maybe wait until you are offered the job, or even take the job and see if you can impress them so much in your first three months that they will be happy to negotiate a way forwards. It may mean a tough few months while you establish yourself but worth it in the long run?

hairylights Wed 24-Aug-11 21:10:44

Wait and see. And don't make any "demands". "demands" dint go down well with employers.

Sinkingfeeling Wed 24-Aug-11 23:48:37

If they offer you the job, then negotiate with them, though they're probably unlikely to agree to both reduced days and reduced hours. Could you work shorter days over 4 days? Any chance your dh could help with children's drop-offs or pick-ups?

toniguy Thu 25-Aug-11 12:30:35

First wait to see it you are offered it.

I would definitely go for it if you are, because you sound fired up and excited by the opportunity.

Your 2 yr old will get 16 hours free childcare after the 3rd birthday. And then of course once s/he begins school, you're looking at significantly reduced bills again- long term you're quids in.
Whereas if you pass up the opportunity you might find your kids both in school and you're jobless or stuck in something you don't like. You could be kicking yourself.

Childminder is your best option as they can be more flexible than nursery. They may not all want to work til 7 pm but just keep searching- ask your local authority for lists, or advertise making it clear the hours you need. Good luck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now