Talk

Advanced search

Feeling deskilled after 3 years (mostly) at home

(2 Posts)
philbee Tue 23-Aug-11 18:58:08

Hi all. Just after a bit of advice really. DH's job is a bit shaky and we've agreed that if he is made redundant we'll both look for full time work. At the moment I work one day a week in an entry level job in my career, which I had gone well beyond when I was working full time.

I was happy with the idea that I might have to look for work again but am suddenly feeling massively panicked at it. I've been looking at job ads and thinking there's no way I could convince anyone (including myself) that I'd be able to do jobs at the level I was at before. I want to retrain, so I also feel pretty blah about having to apply for the kind of thing I was doing before.

Has anyone else felt like this? I am happy being at home with DD, and hopeful about a new career, but feel totally deskilled and useless in my old career. I've been going through the cupboard chucking out old training notes and suddenly thought maybe I should hang on to them after all. Any advice?

ret204 Tue 23-Aug-11 19:15:35

I think we all do that. Its hard once you start to think about what you used to do. I was a freelance TV producer and there is no way I could go back and still be with my kids. So I started doing something I never thought I would ever do.
But I work for myself the money is great and I'm having fun.

Maybe just look out side the box to start.
hope you fine what your looking for
Loretta

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now