Talk

Advanced search

Keep in Touch Days - do I get paid?

(7 Posts)
nilequeen Sat 20-Aug-11 22:13:27

I know it's at the employer's discretion, but my contract states...

Employees will receive normal pay for up to ten keep in touch days. Normal pay is inclusive of Statutory Maternity Pay.

WTF does this mean?

HarrietJones Sat 20-Aug-11 22:14:47

It means they only pay you when you go over the £120 stat pay.
In my work you only get paid on the unpaid bit

nilequeen Sun 21-Aug-11 07:39:29

Stat pay is £120 per week. For ease, say I get paid £12 per hour. Am I right in thinking I wouldn't get paid any extra until I'd worked more than 10 hours?

I feel I'm being a bit petty, as the last time I was on maternity leave I worked 10 days to help out without telling the folks in the payrole department, but in the current climate any chance of making some extra money and I'll take it.

Thanks HJ

Pippaandpolly Sun 21-Aug-11 07:54:47

I've been told I wouldn't get paid for them, and in fact that I'm unreasonable for even bringing it up as 'noone else who's been on maternity leave has even asked angry'. So I told the bursar I wouldn't be doing any KIT days then. I'm not finding childcare and giving up time with the baby to work for free!

flowery Sun 21-Aug-11 15:15:16

You will get your SMP topped up to whatever your normal pay would be for the day you are working.

So if you get £120 a week SMP, and normally work, say, 5 days a week, then you get £24 a day SMP. So if you get £12 an hour you wouldn't get any extra pay until you'd done more than 2 hours.

Pippa it's up to your employer whether they pay for KIT days or how much they pay, so obviously if they're not going to pay you, just don't do them as you say. Pretty unusual to expect you to work them without pay though - are you sure they don't mean no one else has wanted to do any anyway?

Pippaandpolly Sun 21-Aug-11 18:35:36

flowery they've asked me to come in for some specific meetings over the course of the year - future planning etc. I'm pretty shocked they've asked it of me while planning not to pay me! Obviously I just won't do it. (Though they will hold this against me hmm Not sure if anyone else has ever taken a KIT day here - probably not if they won't pay!

fiorentina Mon 22-Aug-11 18:03:25

I've been paid my usual daily rate plus SMP. My employers had no idea what they were though before I enlightened them!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now