Talk

Advanced search

Return to work after maternity leave - job involves overseas travel

(9 Posts)
skyjulie Tue 16-Aug-11 06:34:15

Hello. Does anybody know what the policy is on returning to your old job after maternity leave and not being able to do that job? My job involved travel overseas. If it is not possible for me to travel now because of the baby, does my employer have to offer me another position?
Many thanks!

Erac Tue 16-Aug-11 11:13:51

You have a right to the same job and terms and conditions as before you left. To my understanding, you don't have a right to new terms and conditions, which is what you seem to be asking for.

Returning to Work

Having said that, you might look into how agreeable your employer might be about this. Some employers are definitely more flexible than others on something like this. But no employer is required to be as a policy.

HTH

LovetheHarp Tue 16-Aug-11 11:26:08

If you are breastfeeding, the employer needs to provide you with a reasonable set up to allow you to feed your baby, etc, so you might want to look into this.

In our company generally speaking they tend to be quite understanding with people with very young children in terms of travel - but it depends on the role. I would have an open discussion with your employer and see if you can come to a compromise?

Grevling Tue 16-Aug-11 18:35:14

Reasonable set up wouldn't include not making you travel abroad if its part of the job. That would be unreasonable in the eyes of the company as its stopping you from doing your job.

You could put a flexible working request in saying you only want UK based work and they have to consider it but are under no obligation to say Yes if they have a valid business reason for declining. Needing to travel could be seen as a valid business reason if they need a person in another country.

As said above be open with them and say you'd rather stay in the UK now etc and see what they say. They'll either agree or disagree.

skyjulie Sat 20-Aug-11 19:25:25

Thanks for the advice. I will send off a letter applying for flexible work. The job does need someone to travel. Think I will probably have to look for a new job - bit worrying in today's climate....

LadyLapsang Sun 21-Aug-11 17:21:56

Unless you are still breastfeeding, could your partner not look after your child while you travel or are the trips long ones?

skyjulie Sun 21-Aug-11 18:27:36

My Mum could look after the baby while I travel but it would be for a week and I still feel this is too long to leave the baby - she's 9 months old.

An0therName Sun 21-Aug-11 20:52:27

I guess it would depend on how often you would need to travel - if its not often - say only once a quarter and the job is ok otherwise then I think your baby would be fine - make sure you do an official flexiable working request

LadyLapsang Mon 22-Aug-11 22:16:46

Do you work in aviation?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now