Talk

Advanced search

I have an idea but need some advice please (if you are newspaper related!)

(9 Posts)
Chocolateporridge Mon 15-Aug-11 13:27:20

I decided not to return to work in order to look after my DD but I do need to bring in some additional income somehow (and stretch my brain cells!). I have always loved writing (poems, short stories etc) but found very little release for this in my last employment although I sometimes wrote newsletters, fliers etc (it was a Housing Association). As a stay at home mum I have met a few other mums in my position who would really like to know about what goes on for kids and parents in our area. As I attend a local breastfeeding group I've managed to hear about a few things but not much.

Basically my idea is this: a "parenting page" for the local newspaper where events and topics that interest parents/carers could be listed along with advertising from local relevant businesses. I have TONNES of ideas of what could be included and I have a few contacts who could keep me up to date on what's going on. I'm just not sure if my local paper would be interested in such a thing. Also I don't know if they'd be interested in employing someone who has never worked for a newspaper! I just know that if the paper had something like that in it, it would be the first page I'd turn to when I read the paper and I know other local parents feel the same.

Please can someone advise me on whether it would be something worth pursuing and, if so, which would be the best way to go about it?

Thanks in advance smile

WalterFlipschicks Mon 15-Aug-11 13:34:40

Contact the editor of your local paper, i would be careful though, redundancies have hit local papers hard so they may not want to pay someone on a freelance basis. Otoh they may jump at the chance as its cheaper than employing a ft/pt person.
Dont give away too many ideas for them to pinch, but good luck, they can only say no.

Chocolateporridge Mon 15-Aug-11 13:42:27

Thanks so much WalterFlipschicks. I just read on my local paper's facebook page that they're "looking for enthusiastic community reporters. This role is part editorial/part admin and target-led. A good knowledge of the local area and a confident attitude are essential". There's no mention of salary although it does say that it would suit a school leaver so I expect it would be low pay. At least it shows that they're looking for someone though smile Do you have any idea what kind of rate a freelancer could expect? I really have no clue!!!!!

WalterFlipschicks Mon 15-Aug-11 13:49:21

Not sure on the rate sorry, it would depend on the story/paper.
I used to work for a large local media publisher and tbh, that job sound like the office bitch, sorry! (not sure you were considering applying) target led sets alarm bells ringing as the targets tend to be very high and the wage very low as a result, as you said.
Newspapers have taken a massive hit in the recession. Sales dropped loads with the rise of people reading news on the internet.
But... I do think putting forward your idea (which is a good one btw) is a good idea and may be well received, and i think local press is the right place for it.
Good luck

Chocolateporridge Mon 15-Aug-11 14:14:12

I'm glad you like the idea smile Thanks for your advice. I'm very nervous about presenting it to them though. Do you think I should put together something to show them then, maybe a mock page or a few little articles or a list of the ideas I have - like you said I don't want to give too much away!!! confused

ladykay Tue 16-Aug-11 09:49:11

Hmm, yes, a mini presentation with a mock up page is a good idea. If you just ring up and say 'you could do this' then the whole thing is a bit nickable. I would make them think of you as bound up with the page, a package.

Chocolateporridge Tue 16-Aug-11 20:54:21

Thanks ladykay, I'll get a few ideas together and have a go I think!!!

Chocolateporridge Tue 18-Oct-11 23:04:26

Just wanted to let you both know that things have progressed nicely without any input from me! My hubby advertises in our local paper and they contacted him to see if he would advertise in a new monthly magazine they're starting in November. He took an advert out then told the lady all about my idea. To cut a long story short, they've asked me to write a column, which I've done and taken photos of me and my daughter to use next to the column. They'll see how it runs over the next few months but could lead to writing for the paper too!

Thanks to both of you for your advice thanks

minko Fri 21-Oct-11 20:30:41

Oooh! Carrie Bradshaw eat your heart out - nice one!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now