Talk

Advanced search

Specultive letters - yes or no and how?!

(3 Posts)
carocaro Mon 01-Aug-11 10:51:32

I am planning to send off abour 25 letters/CV's to prospective employers, in the area of public relations. A creative industry, so to stand out should I do something more, coloured paper, include a business card, a photo - do people send photo's these days? Or should I just keep it strictly professional, with examples of work.

I don't want to come across as too desperate and cheesy, when I feel so totally out of touch with the tone and pace of the industry. And I am desperate in more ways than one!

Also what is this 'key skills' section I hear people on MN board talk about.

God, I feel so pathetic before I even start!

carocaro Mon 01-Aug-11 10:56:30

PS: I have 20 years experience, so not a newbie, but have not worked for 7 years.

dunkindonut Tue 02-Aug-11 22:16:05

Yes, I've done this in the past (in my previous career). I was offered a couple of jobs off the back of it. People were impressed that I had made an effort to seek them out and 'find' a job rather than wait for one to fall into my lap.

People rarely send letters these days though. I would write a straightforward professional email and attach a copy of my CV. There's less chance it will be lost. It can be forwarded quickly and it also won't cost you a stamp, ink and paper!

I would include key skills in my covering email. It's basically just a bulleted overview of who you are/what you do:-
- Graduate
- 10 years experience at board level
- Fluent in Spanish, Japanese and Urdu
- Etc.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now