Talk

Advanced search

Restructuring at work during maternity- demotion?

(5 Posts)
smellimelli Sun 31-Jul-11 21:48:08

I've been having lots of discussion with work about flexible working and my request has eventually been declined. I have a management role within teaching but would have been happy to give this up had I been able to return pt.

There has also been a big restructuring in the management structure since I have been on maternity leave. My HT asked me if I wanted to return to a role that was similar to my previous role- I replied that I didn't know (as flexible working was still being appealed) but if I had to return to ft then I probably would. I had the understanding that if I returned ft then I would also take up this new role.

In a meeting after my pt request had been turned down, it was mentioned that I wouldn't take up the new role for a year as it had been given to someone else "only for a year and of course you will still get paid and can take up the role after a year". It's been sold to me that it is to help my work/life balance.

I had been offered pt on 2 occasions but days later HT changed his mind- I am worried the same will happen with this- after 12 months it will be said that it was never intended I return to the role.

I am worried that I am being shafted but am in a dilemma, I don't want the stress of the extra responsibility but need the cash and am also worried about my career being sidelined. WWYD?

Sorry for long post!

Grevling Mon 01-Aug-11 08:19:03

How long have you been off?

smellimelli Mon 01-Aug-11 11:38:12

I'll be taking almost the full year, so I know I don't have the right to return to exactly the same job (it doesn't exist anyway) but I understand it should be "similar" what I'm being told I'll be doing is not a management role.

Grevling Mon 01-Aug-11 13:02:38

Does a management role exist for you to go back into? A role has been given to someone else, how long have they done the role and when are you due back?

smellimelli Mon 01-Aug-11 20:32:46

There will be no management role for me to go back to as this other person will be doing it. This is not the person who was doing my old role for maternity cover. The new person will start in Sept and I will be back in Oct.

Thanks for your interest!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now