Talk

Advanced search

Feeling screwed over for promotion while on maternity leave

(7 Posts)
NotAnotherNewNappy Fri 29-Jul-11 10:11:10

I work for a big public sector institution, which I love. I?ve been there almost 10 yrs and have great benefits (PT working, generous AL) but not so great pay.

I was previously the most senior person in my field and was well respected by the board for doing a great job. However, 8 weeks after I had DD2 they advertised for a senior manager in my area. I pulled myself together to go for the job and got some great feedback on my application and interview. However, they gave the job to somebody else ? a senior manager with no experience or particular skills in my area.

I am furious, feel utterly heartbroken and now can?t face the thought of going back. WWYD?

Kladdkaka Fri 29-Jul-11 11:00:22

Talk to your union rep. Even if you are not in the union, they will often still give advice.

wompoopigeon Fri 29-Jul-11 11:06:21

Did they want someone FT?

venusandmars Fri 29-Jul-11 15:55:39

Have you asked for feedback? I'm not sure from your post, but was this a promotion for you, and not for the other person? Were there other skills (generic management experience rather than area specific skills) that the other candidate has?

If so, can you discuss with your managers how you might go about developing the other skills / attributes that they are looking for.

HappyMummyOfOne Sat 30-Jul-11 15:01:03

Perhaps they needed somebody to start straight away rather than in six-ten months time. It could have also been that they were looking for the senior manager to be full time etc.

Why cant you face going back? If you had been at work and not got it would you have not gone back then either?

flowery Sun 31-Jul-11 19:59:21

Was the vacant job advertised as F/T and did you make it clear on your application that you were happy to fill that requirement? Or if you wanted it P/T did you discuss it with the recruiting manager to find out whether it was possible?

NotAnotherNewNappy Wed 03-Aug-11 21:15:59

Thanks everyone for getting back to me. I've calmed down a bit now and your questions have made me look at it from all angels and I no longer feel so personally victimised by the decision.

HappyMummy The thing that bites most about going back is that my new boss is going to be held up as the expert on my area and will be making the decisions I used to have the autonomy to make, when I know she knows sweet FA and has no proffessional experience in my field.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now