Talk

Advanced search

does anyone work in a car dealership?

(3 Posts)
Clarabumps Wed 27-Jul-11 20:05:54

I am seriously considering going back to work after being a SAHM for three years. I previously worked in recruitment and it was a very sales oriented role. I've been looking at positions online in that field and the main areas that are employing people are car dealerships. Are these roles very male oriented and is it hard to break into? Also what are the working packages like. What are the targets like and is it a very stretching role with a family?
I guess I'm just looking for a bit of inside info on what the working day is like.
So, if anyone out there has experience, or who's partner has experience of this could you let me know.
The benefits package looks rather attractive with a starting salary of 22k going up to 35k OTE.
Thanks
xx

JenniL1977 Thu 28-Jul-11 00:00:36

Hi Clara, a really good friend of mine has worked in dealerships for years.
Because it's not my partner, I don't know all the ins-and-outs, but he loves it, and has tried numerous times to persuade me to go into it (I do a lot of selling in my job at present).
It is a male world, but only because that's a hangover from years gone by - my friend says the female sales people he has worked with have always done better than the men because people tend to trust a woman more not to rip them off (!). He's full-time and seems to have about a 20 car a month target to make his bonuses, but he works for well known brands, it's not going to be as high as that at Porsche or Aston Martin. He works 5 day weeks, every second Sunday off and the Monday after, but obviously weekends are busiest times so you'd need to be prepared for that. Dealerships are usually open till 7 as well, so you might have to do some "after hours" working, but then your shift wouldn't start till 10 or 11, so the morning school run would fit in there.
As far as I can tell, you'll do quotes for people ringing in and walking in, do finance deals, do handover paperwork, do follow up calls after quotes, after sales care, and a lot of fast talking smile
Why don't you see if you could workshadow for a day or two at a couple of places local to you?
HTH smile

KAZAMM Thu 28-Jul-11 16:53:32

Hi my DP works for a dealership and there are a few women in the showroom. I've been in lots of times and everyone has been friendly and talking to me and DD. I would definitely go for it as the discounts are good and DP gets a car during the week and doesnt have to rely on mine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now